ESB Networks have issued an update in advance of Storm Dylan saying that power outages are anticipated in the West and Northwest.
Issued at 5pm this evening, ESB Networks crews in the Northwest are making the necessary preparations in advance of Storm Dylan tonight, with all internal resources on alert.
In a statement they say: "We continually monitor the forecasts and real time events on the electricity network and will deploy our crews to restore supply. Crews from other areas of the country also stand ready to assist in any restoration effort if necessary.
"Met Éireann has forecast that Storm Dylan will bring gale force winds with gusts of up to 125km/h tonight and into tomorrow morning in Connacht, Ulster and parts of North Leinster.
"These winds may cause damage to electricity infrastructure and we can expect loss of electricity supply, particularly in coastal areas of Mayo, Sligo and Donegal. High winds are also forecast for the rest of the country."
The Status Orange Wind Warning applies to Connacht, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Longford, Westmeath, Meath and Clare. ESB Networks are asking their customers in these counties to be prepared to be without electricity if their area is hit badly by the storm:
* Have plenty of food and water available
* Have torches with spare batteries available
* Make sure your phone is charged and, if possible, have a phone charger at hand for your car
Please check that elderly or vulnerable relatives and neighbours are prepared to be without electricity
* If you have electric gates, please check you know how to work them manually
* An Important Public Safety Message: If you come across fallen wires or damaged electricity network, never, ever touch or approach these as they are LIVE and extremely dangerous. Please report any damage to electricity infrastructure by calling 1850 372 999.
Customers without power can check for updates on when their fault is expected to be repaired at www.esbpowercheck.ie or on the PowerCheck App for iPhone and Android devices.
If your fault is not logged please report it at https://www.esbnetworks.ie/ power-outages-updates/report- a-power-outage or if you have no internet access please call 1850 372 999. Customers should have their MPRN available to access recorded information specific to their location. You can also check @ESBNetworks on Twitter for updates.
ESB Networks is reminding customers of the precautionary measures to take in the event of a power cut:
* Never approach broken lines or damaged poles, and keep children and animals away – report damage to ESB Networks at 1850 372 999 and listen to recorded messages carefully
* Turn off electric cookers, ovens, irons, etc. if electricity supply is lost
* Leave a light switched on so you know when power has been restored
* Take extra care if using candles, oil lamps or other naked flames
* Test smoke alarms with fresh batteries
* Ensure adequate ventilation if using gas heaters.