Update

Light bulb cause of fire alert at Letterkenny University Hospital

Staff Reporter

Reporter:

Staff Reporter

Forty-five patients reported awaiting beds at Letterkenny University Hospital

Letterkenny University Hospital

A light bulb was responsible for a fire alert at Letterkenny University Hospital this morning which caused a number of patients to be evacuated from a ward .

The fire service attended the incident in which smoke from a fluorescent light bulb on a hospital ward caused a fire alarm to activate at around 10am .

The fire service was automatically alerted and responded immediately. Patients on the ward were evacuated. 

A spokeswoman for the Health Service Executive said there was an issue with a fluorescent light bulb which emitted smoke.  

The incident has been dealt with, patients have returned to the ward, and the fire service have left the hospital, she said.