Cappry Rovers retain Donegal U-12 Champions League title

Peter Campbell


Peter Campbell

Cappry Rovers retain Donegal U-12 Champions League title

Cappry Rovers with the U-12 Champions League cup

Cappry Rovers are Donegal U-12 Champions League winners for the second year in-a-row following victory over Fintown Harps in Leckview Park, Letterkenny.

Cappry Rovers 1

Fintown Harps 0

Josh McMenamin scored the goal for the side managed by  Martin McMenamin and James Long to win the title.

McMenamin nodded home at the far post 12 minutes into the second half after an inch perfect cross from team captain Luke McGlynn.

McGlynn turned in a big performance for the champions and had gone close on a number of times in the opening half to finding the Fintown net

As early as the second minute, he was denied by a good save from Dylan McGlynn in the Fintown goals.

He also had what seemed like a cast iron goal taken off the line by Shea Malone, who did well to get back to clear the danger after McGlynn was beaten.

That was on 14 minutes and on the stroke of the half-time he skimmed McGlynn’s crossbar with a header from a corner.

Cappry enjoyed the best of the opening 30 minutes but Fintown did hit on the break on a number of times and had a couple of half chances.

The best of these fell to Oisin Caulfield in the early minutes. But the team captain was denied by a top drawer save from Evan Long in the Cappry goals.

With the sides level at 0-0 at the break, McGlynn went close to scoring a sensational goal on the restart when he let fly from the tip off to shave Daniel McGlynn’s left hand post.

And with McGlynn pulling the strings around the middle and Mark Mbull taking on the Fintown defence at every opportunity with his fancy footwork, the winners pressed and pressed.

But they made little headway against a well marshalled and strong Fintown defence where  Ben Campbell, Shea Malone and Oisin Caulfield were simply outstanding.  

And that is why it took a goal of real quality to break the deadlock. A  precision centre was met by a brave and well timed header to sneak it in at the post.

Cappry continued to dominate for the remainder of the game but again down to the outstanding defending of Fintown, and particularly Campbell, they were restricted to a couple of half chances.

The best of these fell to Shaun McMenamin two minutes from time and a Shaun McGlynn volley from outside the box in the closing minute.

Cappry were the better side. They had that little more balance right throughout the team and they also had the experience of  a successful 2015 campaign. Most of the team were members of last year’s winning team while Fintown were playing in the club’s first Champions League final.

Cappry now advance to the last 32 in the National competition, the draw for which was due to be made this weekend.

CAPPRY ROVERS:  Evan Long; Oisin McGlinchey, Daniel Marley, Andrew Murray, Shaun McMenamin, Jack Long,  Luke McGlynn, Mark Mcbull, Shaun Ward. Subs used: Josh McMenamin, Joseph Gillespie, Kevin McCormick.

FINTOWN HARPS: Dylan McGlynn, Sean O'Baoill, Ben Campbell, Oraghan Breslin, Sean Doherty, Shea Malone, Oisin Caulfield, Jack McGlynn,Jamie O’Donnell. Subs:  Conor McDevitt, Oraghan Doherty, Peter Doherty, Peter McGlynn, Mark McDevitt.

REFEREE: Marty Quinn.