Glenfin retain their Senior Championship status

Peter Campbell, Spor


Peter Campbell, Spor

Glenfin retain their Senior Championship status
Once they got into their stride Glenfin had an easy victory over Bundoran in the senior championship play-off in Donegal Town.

Once they got into their stride Glenfin had an easy victory over Bundoran in the senior championship play-off in Donegal Town.

Glenfin 1-11

Bundoran 1-5

Bundoran had the better of the opening quarter and led for much that period, but once Glenfin got going, they always looks the more likely.

The biggest talking point of this game was a small flare up in the tunnel as the teams made their way to the dressing room at half-time. Once that was settled, the second half was a damp squib with Glenfin pulling well clear.

Bundoran were lively at the start with Tommy Hourihane (free) and Christy Keaney giving them a deserved lead but Gerard Ward, excellent for the winners, hit two frees to have Glenfin level on 11 minutes

Jamie Brennan won a free for Christy Keaney to edge Bundoran in front again on 14 minutes and they were almost in for a goal a minute later but the alert John Harkin cut out the danger and when the ball was cleared up field Ciaran Moy set up Gerard Ward to level once more.

Ciaran Moy put Glenfin into a lead they would never relinquish when he converted a 40m free and Gerard Ward added another from near the sideline on 23 minutes.

Two minutes later Kevin McGlynn, although hobbling with an injury that saw him replaced before the break, hit a great ball over the top for Gerard Ward. Ward’s effort was straight at Johnny Keenan but the rebound fell very kindly for Mark McGinty jnr who sidefooted home.

The goal put Glenfin five clear but Bundoran got a lifeline two minutes later when a Michael McEniff effort for a point dropped short and fell between Glenfin ‘keeper Andrew Walsh’s fingers and the crossbar. It dropped into the danger area and Peter McGonigle got the touch to leave the half-time score: Glenfin 1-5, Bundoran 1-3.

The second half, though, was mostly one way traffic with Bundoran only able to manage to add two more points, while Glenfin were able to tack on points at will.

Young 17-year-old Jason Morrow (who replaced Kevin McGlynn just before the break) was a breath of fresh air for the winners. He had a goal chance in the opening minutes of the second half, his effort saved by Johnny Keenan and he fired the rebound, only for it to be deflected for a 45 by Johnny Boyle.

Glenfin stretched the lead on 36 minutes when Frank McGlynn worked an opening for Stephen McDermott to fist over.

Tommy Hourihane pulled a good point back at the other end after probing by Gary Clancy, but then Glenfin began to pull away,

Frank McGlynn began to exert an influence and he released Jason Morrow to hoist a great point.,

Gerard Ward added two frees before Frank McGlynn broke forward and after a number of passes, he hit a great point with his left from an awkward angle to open the gap to 1-10 to 1-4 with 12 minutes left.

Daniel McGlynn fisted another two minutes later as the game trundled to its inevitable conclusion.

Christy Keaney did have a goal chance for Bundoran when Glenfin lost the ball in their defence, but he shot very early and his effort was easily parried away by a defender.

Bundoran’s only reply came with minutes left when substitute Diarmuid Spratt fired over.

Glenfin were the better side with John Harkin outstanding at the back; Frank McGlynn was to the fore in the second half while Michael McGlynn, Stephen McDermott, Jason Morrow and especially Gerard Ward played their part in keeping Glenfin in the top flight.

The Glenfin club are celebrating their 40th anniversary next year and the retention of their senior championship status will be a welcome boost.

For Bundoran, who had a very good start to the season, going well in the league, this was a disappointing outcome. Without the influential Shane McGowan, Bundoran are never the same side without him.

Pauric Rooney, Gary Clancy, Ciaran McCaughey and Jamie Brennan were the best on a bad day for the Seasiders.

Glenfin: Andrew Walsh; Gary Dorrian, Ronan Gallagher, John Harkin; Daniel McGlynn (0-1), Frank McGlynn (0-1), Mark McGinty jnr. (1-0); Michael McGlynn, Mark McGinty snr.; Stephen McDermott (0-1), Kevin McGlynn, Conor Ward; Ciaran Moy (0-1,f), Gerard Ward 0-6,4f), Stephen McGlynn. Subs., Jason Morrow (0-1) for K McGlynn 28; Paddy Costello for C Moy 51; Stephen Ward for S McDermott 60.

Bundoran: Johnny Keenan; Johnny Boyle, James Keaney, John Harkin; Paul Sheridan, Gary Clancy, Michael McEniff; Ciaran McCaughey, Niall Dunne; Jamie Brennan, Peter McGonigle (1-0), Tommy Hourihane (0-2,1f); Alan Russell, Christy Keaney (0-2,1f), Johnny Ward. Subs., Dara Hoey for Russell 45; David Stuttard for Hourihane 48; Daniel Branley for J Ward 51; Diarmuid Spratt (0-1) for C Keaney 55.

Referee: Seamus McGonigle (Aodh Ruadh).