Milford make it five from five in Division Three

Milford make it five from five in Division Three
Milford - with Cathal McGettigan scoring 1-9 - continued their impressive run of form in the All-County Football League with another impressive performance - this time away to Buncrana.

Milford - with Cathal McGettigan scoring 1-9 - continued their impressive run of form in the All-County Football League with another impressive performance - this time away to Buncrana.

Buncrana 5-6

Milford 3-18

Buncrana got the first score of the match from a 45 but this was responded to by two Luke Barrett frees.

The ball ended up in the Buncrana net after good work from Kyle Black down the sideline set Cathal Mc Gettigan free and he found Kane Barrett to finish to an empty net.

Another McGettigan free had Milford in a nice healthy position leading 1-3 to 0-2 before two Buncrana goals - with Kevin O’Loughlin and John Campbell scoring - in the space of a minute turned the scoreline on its head.

McGettigan added three more points before winning a penalty in an incident in which the Buncrana goalkeeper Eoin O’Doherty was black-carded.

McGettigan dusted himself down to score the penalty as the game entered injury time.

Barrett added another goal almost immediately after to leave the half time score 3-6 to 2-4.

On the restart, Buncrana got a third goal with less than 30 seconds of the half played through Campbell again.

Again Milford responded well and got points from Black and Pauric Curley before Buncrana had a second man black carded for a late challenge on Kyle Black.

More points from Black, Christopher Barrett, Luke and Kane Barrett give the visitors a 3-13 to 3-5 lead before Buncrana got their fourth goal - with Campbell completing his hat-trick.

Cathal McGettigan then scored four in a row before Buncrana won themselves a penalty at the death.

Caolan Mc Gettigan saved the initial shot but there was nothing he could do about the rebound which fell to the Oisin Doherty’s feet aain to finish.

Buncrana: E O’Doherty; S Doherty, J O’Loughlin, M Gallagher; S McLaughlin, B Waldron, S Cuffe; C McGonigle, K O’Loughlin; J McGrory, O Doherty, J Campbell; O Doherty, A Doherty, R Doherty.

Milford: S Gallagher; K Sheridan, S Black, G Grier; TJ Evesson, E McHugh, K McLaughlin; J Logue, L Barrett (0-3); K Black, C Barrett (0-2), D Black (0-2; P Curley (0-1), Cathal McGettigan (1-9), K Barrett (2-1). Caolan McGettigan for Gallagher (44), Joey Cullen for K Barrett (56).

Aodh Ruadh too strong

Aodh Ruadh 5-13

Red Hugh’s 0-7

An understrength Red Hugh’s were no match for Aodh Ruadh in Fr. Tierney Park on Saturday evening writes Peter Campbell.

The game, as a contest was over at half-time as the home side led by 4-3 to 0-4. David McGurrin and Jamie McDonald had two of the goals while another brace of goals in the minutes before the half-time whistle came from Philip Patton and Shane McGrath.

The second half was even more one-sided as Aodh Ruadh had moved the score on to 5-11 before Red Hugh’s got on the scoreboard with ten minutes of normal time left. The fifth goal came when Colm Kelly followed in after a high ball and won it before firing to the empty net.

Conor Patton, Damien Cleary, Peter Boyle, Shane McGrath, Jamie McDonald and Philip Patton were outstanding for the winners.

Aodh Ruadh: P Boyle (0-2,45,f); R Drummond, C Patton, C O’Halloran; N Boyle, C Kelly (1-1), A Boyle (0-2); E McGrath, D Cleary; S McGrath (1-1), D McInerney, J McDonald (1-1); N Murray (0-1), D McGurrin (1-0), P Patton (1-5,1f). Subs., N Thomas for McInerney 46; A Coughlin for N Boyle 50; M Dolan for E McGrath 56.

Red Hugh’s: L Kelly; M Devine, S McGlinchey, D McCreary; P McMenamin, G Kelly, P Byrne; A Mongan, T McMenamin (0-1); G Melaugh, P McGlinchey, R Gallen; C Melaugh (0-4), K Scanlon (0-1), P J Gallagher (0-1). Sub., A Bradley for P McMenamin ht.

Urris stay second

Urris 1-11

Downings 2-6

The visitors got the first point of this division three league match which was followed by a goal for Urris scored by Peter Devlin. Kevin Mc Laughlin added another three points, the first from a free. The home side added another point with a point from Peter Devlin. Urris had Danny Devlin black carded and he was replaced by Kieran Kelly. Downings then scored their second point in this match. Urris finished off this half with three more points, the first from Mickey Grant and the other two from Kevin Mc Laughlin.

Half Time Urris 1-7 Downings 0-2.

As in the first half Downings got the opening point when play resumed followed by another point for the visitors. Alan Friel put over another point for Urris. The visitors went through a good patch and scored a point and a goal (leaving the score 1-08 to 1-05). Downings got another point from play. Gary Doherty got another score for the home side.

Downings then got their second goal of this match and levelled the score at 1-09 to 2-06. Urris then got on top again in the closing stages of the second half and two points from Kevin Mc Laughlin (first from a free) saw the home side hold out and secure two more points in Division 3.

Urris : D Friel, G Doherty, S Mc Daid, K Doherty, M Grant, J Cooke, B Doherty, J Mc Carron, D Devlin, A Friel, K Mc Laughlin, C Bradley, D Grant, P Devlin, Alan Friel. Subs: R Doherty, K Kelly, D Kelly, R Doherty (R), M Shiels, S Friel, B Grant. K Kelly for D Devlin and D Kelly for D Grant.

Na Dúnaibh: C. Mac Giolla Bhríde; S. Ó Gallchóir, D. Ó hAodha, B. Mac Giolla Bhríde; B. Mac Nuadhat, S. Mac Giolla Chomhaill, M. Mac Giolla Chomhaill; P. Mac Rodaigh (0-1), B. Mac Fhionlaoich; A Mac Laifeartaigh (1-2), C. Ó Gallchóir (0-1), O. Ó Buaidhe; S.L. Mac Giolla Bhríde, G.Bán Mac Laifeartaigh, L. Ó Conchúir (0-2). Subs : S. Mac Fhionnlaoich (1-0), S. Mac Laifeartaigh and S.Ó Buaidhe.

Referee: Aidan McAleer.

Gaels edge derby

Letterkenny Gaels 1-6

Naomh Colmcille 0-6

Letterkenny Gaels recorded a good victory over Naomh Colmcille on Sunday at Pairc na nGael.

Richard Clarke opened the visitors account after four minutes before Mark Hunter, who knocked over two first half points, replied with a superb score.

Mark Dowds then hit two points for the visitors while Sean McDonagh converted for the Gaels. Don Hegarty added for Newtown before Patrick Doherty hit the decisive goal for the Gaels.

At half-time it was Letterkenny Gaels 1-3 Naomh Colmcille 0-4.

At the beginning of the second half both teams were keeping things tight at the back until Don Hegarty popped up with a point for the visitors on 42 minutes. However Gaels with most of the possession added three unanswered points from Brendan O’Brien, Charlie Creevy and Hunter to put four between them. Michael Lynch got a consolation score in the final minute but the home team held on for victory.

Letterkenny Gaels: S Graham, C Cannon, R Quinn, K Kilkenny, C Browne, D Hunter, O McElhinney, L Doherty, B O’Brien (0-1), P Doherty (1-0), M Hunter (0-3), C Lynch, C Cannon, C Creevy (0-1), S McDonagh (0-1). Subs: C O’Breslin, J McGlynn.

Naomh Colmcille: G McDaid; R Hegarty, A Devenney, M Friel; J Fullerton, O Hilley, E Gillespie; K Devine, R Clarke (0-1); M Dowds (0-2), M Lynch (0-1), D Hegarty (0-2); T McKinley, J Donaghy, W Gillespie,