Termon win to stay top of Division 2

Termon win to stay top of Division 2
Termon enjoyed a victorious return to The Burn Road on Sunday afternoon as they defeated Bundoran by five points to remain in pole position at the top of Division 2.

Termon enjoyed a victorious return to The Burn Road on Sunday afternoon as they defeated Bundoran by five points to remain in pole position at the top of Division 2.

An Tearmann 2-10

Bundoran 0-11

In relatively breezy conditions, it was the home side who finished the strongest to score 1-1 in the final 3 minutes to put a gloss on the scoreline of a match they didn’t deserve to lose but almost allowed Bundoran to steal.

With no Reserve game due to Bundoran’s involvement in the County Minor Division 2 final on Monday, the senior game got under way as a solo fixture at 3:00, and it was Termon who sprung from the traps the quicker with a brace of Daire McDaid frees and a well taken Aidan Sweeney goal putting them 1-2 to no score ahead after 10 minutes.

Bundoran came to life then and scores from Tommy Hourihane (free), a Jamie Brennan double and Gary Clancy with a Daire McDaid score from play and a Christy Connaghan ‘45’ leaving Termon leading by that vital Aidan Sweeney goal at half-time on a score of 1-4 to 0-4.

The second half began as a reverse of the first with a curling Jamie Brennan effort getting Bundoran started, before Michael Boyle made a crucial stop from a powerful Peter McGonagle strike at the expense of a point when a goal looked almost certain. A goal at that stage would have put Bundoran one point ahead, but as it wasn’t to be and ill-discipline proved to be their undoing as three Daire McDaid frees, with a reply from Jamie Brennan, left Termon leading 1-7 to 0-7 halfway through the second half.

Scores from Alan Russell and a Jamie Brennan free put the minimum between the teams. Christy Connaghan and Tommy Hourihane exchanged points before home Captain Steve McElwaine put two between them.

Ciaran McCaughey responded for the visitors to leave a single point between them again. Bundoran searched valiantly for the equaliser but a resolute Termon defense soaked up the pressure, before a storming counter attack involving strong performance from a number of players left Daire McDaid with a simple palm into the net to push Termon four points ahead on the 30 minute mark. Another storming counter attack lead to a converted free from Christy Connaghan and a black card for Paul Brennan as the game came to an end.

Termon manager Paddy McDaid will be delighted to have returned to the Burn Road on a winning note, with good performances from Michael Boyle, Anthony McGrenra, Aidan Sweeney, Daire McDaid and Christy Connaghan.

Bundoran will be disappointed with the amount of wides hit and possession lost especially under little pressure in the first half, but will take heart from the performances of Shane Carr, Peter McGonagle, Tommy Hourihane and Jamie Brennan.

Termon: Michael Boyle; Fintan O’Flynn, Anthony McGrenra, Kevin McElwaine; Steve McElwaine (0-1), Joe English, Lee Doherty; Caolan Mellett, Kevin McDaid; Ricky Gallagher, Aidan Sweeney (1-0), Daire McDaid (1-6,5f); John McCafferty, Christy Connaghan (0-3, 1f, 1 45), Enda McCormack. Subs: James McSharry for Enda McCormack; Daireann Gibson for Joe English; Jimmy McElwaine for Steve McElwaine.

Bundoran: Johnny Keenan; Shane Carr, James Keeney, Adrian Mullarkey; Paul Brennan, Shane McGowan, Gary Clancy; Ciaran McCaughey, Peter McGonagle; Barry McGowan, Alan Russell, Shane Moohan; Tommy Hourihane, Christy Keaney, Jamie Brennan. Subs: Johnny Boyle for C Keaney; Paul Greaney for Paul Brennan (black Card)

St Naul’s 1-10

Cloughaneely 0-13

It was a point late into injury time that saw Cloughaneely take a share of the spoils from their game away to St Naul’s.

It was well into injury time in the 38th minute when Cloughaneely managed to salvage a point when John Fitzgerald struck a point from pay to deny St Naul’s a home win.

St Naul’s had battled back into the game after a strong start by Cloughaneely that saw them go in at half time two points to the good with Fitzgerald hitting three frees, as well as Sean McGarvey, Ciaran McGeady, Jason McGee and Killian Gallagher getting on the score sheet. The steady boot of Stephen Griffin kept Naul’s in it with all five of their first half score, three by way of free kicks.

In the second half the home side fought back and a Barry Rose goal 21 mins into the 2nd half brought them within a point. St. Naul’s managed to steal into a point lead for the first time since the start in the 57th minute. In the 6 ½ mins of injury time, John Fitzgerald ensured that Cloughaneely went home with a point .

St Naul’s: Gavin Mulreany, John Rose, Aidan Kennedy, Conor McDevitt, Barry Griffin, Edward Kane, Stewart Johnston, Stephen Griffin(0-7,5f), Des McGoarty, Barry Rose(1-1), Barry Coyle, Shane Conneely 0-1), Daniel Brennan, Cathal Lowther(0-1). Subs: Brendan McCole of D Brennan, Lee McGoarty for B Coyle, Shane Kerr for D McGoarty.

Cloughaneely: Shaun McClafferty, Ciaran McGeady (0-01), Lee O’Brien, Eamonn Curran, Paddy Cannon, Kevin McFadden , Declan McGarvey (0-02), Ciaran Scanlon, Jason McGee (0-01), Eugene McGuire, Darren Ferry (0-01), Cillian Gallagher (0-03, 2F) , John Fitzgerald (0-04, 4F), Shaun McGuire, John McGarvey (0-01)

Subs: Paul Gallagher for L O’Brien 45mins, Martin Maguire for D Ferry half time.

Referee: Andrew Mullan

Naomh Muire 1-11

Gleann Fhinne 4-08

A four goal blitz from Glenfin helped them edge out Naomh Muire at the Banks.

The ability to create and take goal chances was the main difference between the teams. Glenfin took their chances early with three goals in the first half. Indeed Glenfin had 1-02 on the board within the first six minutes as the home side struggled to start. Harry Harden opened the scoring for Naomh Muire with a nicely taken point but Glenfin quickly replied when Conor Ward hit the net for their second goal. Darragh White converted a 45 shortly afterwards but the visitors had established a commanding lead. Gerrard Ward then netted his second and Glenfin’s third as they extended their lead. Harry Harden and White again tagged on points for the home side before Mark McGinty replied for the visitors. Points then were exchanged as the half closed leaving the half time score at Naomh Muire 0-06 Gleann Fhinne 3-03.

The second half saw Glenfin maintain their lead and even though the home side rallied a bit to close the gap, the visitors hit the net for a fourth time to close out the game and take the two points.

Naomh Muire: Tomas Duffy, Robbie O’Donnell, Brian Gillespie, Daniel Gallagher, Shaun Gallagher, Jack O’Brien, Aidy O’Gara, Patrick Gillespie, Adam O’ Brien, Darragh White (0-04), Shaun J Boyle, Shaun Burns, Harry Harden (1-05), Shaun Boyle (0-02), Hugh Boyle. Subs: Jamie Boyle for S Burns, Darren Sweeney for Daniel Gallagher

Gleann Fhinne: Andrew Walsh, Daniel Harkin, Ronan Gallagher, Gareth Mattin, Mark McGinty (0-01), Frank McGlynn, Gary Herron, Michael McGlynn (0-04), Gavin McDermott, Jason Marley, Kevin McGlynn, Conor Ward (1-00), Stephen McGlynn, Gerard Ward (2-03), Jason Morrow.

Subs: Ronan Carlin (1-00) for J Marley, Kyle Doherty for Stephen McGlynn & Conor McBride for G Herron

Referee: Martin Mc Shane

Killybegs 0-5

Naomh Columba 1-3

Naomh Columba continued their good start in Division Two with a hard fought win over Killybegs on a breezy afternoon in Fintra.

Killybegs started the better with two good frees from Hugh McFadden and a well taken point from full-forward Paul Cunningham. Glen hit back with a brilliant goal from wing-forward Kevin McNern.He added another point just before the break to put the away side one up and with the wind in their backs for the second half.

Both sides added two points each in the second half with a host of opportunities missed on both sides. The game was littered with poor passing and a lot of players behind the ball and very little fluent football.

The Glen men will be happy to get another two points on the board but both sides will have to improve if they are going to compete for any silverware this year.

Naomh Columba had good performances from Michael Maguire at centre half-back and Kevin McNern was excellent at wing half forward; Killybegs were best served by Hugh McFadden, Dan Breslin and Eoghan Ban Gallagher.

Killybegs: M Mullen, N Carbery, C Conaghan, D O’Donnell, D Conwell, S Molloy, E Ban Gallagher, C Murrin, J Noctor 0-1, D Breslin, H McFadden 0-3, J B Gallagher, V Smith, P Cunningham 0-1, P Gallagher. Subs., C Cunningham for D O Donnell, D McGuire for P Cunningham.

Naomh Columba: S O Gara, B Carr, M Cunningham, K McBrearty, P Ward, M Maguire, J McGinley, P Byrne 0-1, C Byrne, P McNern, D McGuire 0-1, K McNern 1-1, R Gillespie, P Cunningham, Philip Doherty. Subs., Paul Doherty for Pauric Cunningham, A Carr for R Gillespie, S Jones for Philip Doherty, Ryan McNern for Philip McNern.

Referee: Enda McFeely.

Fanad Gaels 0-6

Sean MacCumhaills 1-12

MacCumhaills proved too strong in the second half of their clash with Fanad Gaels to take the win in Portsalon.

The mixed condition, particularity in the first half playing into the strong wind, did little to help the home side settle. That said, it was a cagey affair with both sides trading scores early on.

The Gaels went in at half time with a slender lead at 0-5 to 0-6 but MacCumhaills opened the scoring in the second half to draw level at 0-6 each in the 34th minute.

A Martin O’Reilly goal soon after helped put a clearer gap between the teams and the visiting side pushed on strongly from there for the rest of the game with O’Reilly showing his class as Fanad failed to change their score tally in the half.

Fanad Gaels: Paul O’Conner, Conor McGonagle, Paddy Herrity, Ronan McAteer, Ronan McAteer, Brian McBride, Fergal Friel (0-1) Paul Coyle, Kevin McElwaine(0-1), Micahel Sweeney, Sean McElwaine, Ryan McGonagle (0-1),Pa Martin, Naill Carr(0-1), Seamie Nanny Friel (0-2), Brian McVeigh. Subs: Marty McAteer for B McVeigh, Seamie Cosha Friel for K McElwaine, Johnny Nanny Friel for P Herrity, Kevin McGonagle for P Coyle. Brendna Friel for J Friel (Blk card).

MacCumhaills: Ger Grindle, Marty Gallagher, Eoin Wright,Shane Duffy, Barry Dunnion, Joe Dunnion, Pat McNulty Stephen O’Rielly, Gary McGirr (0-2), Brian Lafferty (0-1), Chris Gallen (0-2), S Mulligan (0-1), Nathan Gavigan, Martin O’Reilly (1-6), Rory Dunleavy.