Burt make it four in a row with easy win

Burt won the Senior Hurling Championship for the fourth year in succession with a comfortable 15-point win over Sean MacCumhaill’s.

Burt won the Senior Hurling Championship for the fourth year in succession with a comfortable 15-point win over Sean MacCumhaill’s.

Burt 6-9

Sean MacCumhaill’s 1-9

The side managed by Ardal McDermott, who featured himself at centre-field for the first time this season, proved the value of that well-used adage about goals winning games.

The contest was a balanced one in the opening quarter, with the teams locked at 1.3 apiece, before Burt grasped control of the contest to seal the title.

Ronan McDermott, on 12 minutes, put Burt into a 1-2 to 0-2 lead after he was located by Niall Campbell, who picked up the pieces when Ogilve McGroarty and Anthony Patton went for the one ball.

However, MacCumhaill’s got back on terms moments later when Paddy Hannigan shot past Paul Burns following a precise catch from Gavin Brown’s ball in from deep.

The victory ultimately boiled down to Burt having a greater array of potential match-winners.

Over the course of the hour, Lee Henderson scored seven of MacCumhaill’s nine points from placed balls.

The wing-forward scored a point from play himself in the first half before Ciaran Mathewson pointed their only score from play in the second half.

Burt, on the other hand, were much harder to pigeon-hole.

They scored 3-8 from play over the hour, whilst MacCumhaill’s only managed to bag 1-2.

Five minutes before half-time, Burt scored a second goal when Stephen Boyle got the decisive touch on a Campbell free to beat Dylan Laverty.

Then, in what was the last play of the half, Boyle was again a goalscorer - this time when a Pauric Doherty ball in fell at his feet.

That meant that despite the tight opening quarter of an hour, Burt were 3-5 to 1-4 up at the changing of ends.

The second half, though, was one-way traffic.

Stephen Gillespie added a fourth goal on 34 minutes when he bravely out-jumped Laverty before Enda McDermott added a fifth on 45.

McDermott was aware enough to flick in from close range after Laverty had made a save in the build-up as he tried to quell the storm.

Five minutes from time, Niall Campbell planted a sixth into the bottom corner with a piercing shot that put the icing on the cake for Burt.

This all came against against a dejected MacCumhaill’s team, who lost both Hannigan and Justin McGhee to late and straight red cards.

Burt: Paul Burns; Dara Grant, Martin McGrath, Johnny Downey; Cian Dowds, Joe Boyle, Pauric Doherty; Christopher McDermott (0-1), Ardal McDermott (0-1); Stephen Gillespie (1-0), Stephen Boyle (2-1), Niall Campbell (1-3, 1f); Ronan McDermott (1-0), Mickey McCann, Enda McDermott (1-3). Subs: Kyle McGrath for Grant (51), Jonathan McGrath for Boyle (59), Conor McLaughlin for Gillespie (59).

Sean MacCumhaill’s: Dylan Laverty; PJ Brown, Justin McGhee, Ogilve McGroarty; Barney McMenamin, Anthony Patton, Conor Griffin; Jamsie Donnelly, Ciaran Matthewson (0-1); Lee Henderson (0-8, 7f), Aaron McAuley, Paddy Hannigan (0-1); Gavin Brown, Barry McGranaghan, David White. subs: Dean Hannigan for Mcgranaghan (24), Sean Curran for McGroarty (29), Kyle Tourish for Brown (36), Martin McGonagle for Patton (59), Ger Cunningham for McAuley (60).

Referee: Gus Chapman.