Division Three round-up: Aodh Ruadh goal power too much for N Columba

Division Three round-up: Aodh Ruadh goal power too much for N Columba
Aodh Ruadh went on a goal blitz which proved the difference in the top of the table clash in Fr. Tierney Park on Saturday evening.

Aodh Ruadh went on a goal blitz which proved the difference in the top of the table clash in Fr. Tierney Park on Saturday evening.

Aodh Ruadh 5-8

Naomh Columba 0-12

Naomh Columba started well with two points inside 90 seconds, but the home side were in control when Diarmuid McInerney hit the first goal on four minutes. The goal was fashioned by the McGurrin brothers and David Dolan with McInerney applying a very clinical finish.

The second goal came on 13 minutes when David Dolan was fouled as he tried to fist a point and David McGurrin fired home to put Aodh Ruadh 2-3 to 0-3 ahead.

By half-time that lead was extended out to 3-7 to 0-5 as Pauric Patton started and finished a magnificent third goal and David McGurrin added a brace of points.

It was a very impressive first half for the home side and the league points were more or less in the bag.

What a difference a few months makes. In the corresponding fixture earlier in the season, Naomh Columba won by 16 points (2-15 to 0-5) but a lot of water has fallen since and a lot of turf have been won!

Naomh Columba, as is usual, did not throw in the towel and they drew the second half - hitting 0-7 to the home side’s 2-1. Four of the Naomh Columba second half points came from substitutes - Andrew O’Gara, Pauric Ward and two from Noel ‘Freddie’ McGinley.

The Aodh Ruadh goals came on 42 and 52 minutes, David Dolan bundling home the fourth and Ronan McGurrin hitting a very good finish for the fifth.

The win puts four points between Aodh Ruadh and Naomh Columba with the Ballyshannon side continuing to lead the way. They had eight different scorers and veteran Kerry Ryan put in a great shift. Naomh Columba lost Oisin McGinley to injury before half-time and that didn’t help their cause.

Aodh Ruadh: P Boyle (0-1,45); M Ward, J Gallagher, C Whoriskey; C Patton (0-1), E McGrath, M Dolan (0-1); K Ryan, J O’Donnell; D McGurrin (1-3,1-0pen,f), R McGurrin (1-1), R Drummond; P Patton (1-0), D Dolan (1-1), D McInerney (1-0). Subs., D McIntyre for O’Donnell 40; K Keown for Drummond; J McDonald for McInerney, both 51; R Granaghan for D McGurrin 56; N Thomas for Ryan 58.

Naomh Columba: S O’Gara; K McBrearty, M Cunningham, B Carr; J J McGinley, K McNern (0-1), S Jones (0-1); D McGuire (0-2), P Byrne (0-1,45); G McGinley, O McGinley (0-1,f), P Cunningham; P McNern, P Doherty (0-2), R McNern. Subs., R Gillespie for O McGinley; P Ward (0-1) for J J McGinley, both 27; A O’Gara (0-1) for P Cunningham ht; N McGinley (0-2) for K McNern 43; C Byrne for Jones 54.

Referee: E McFeely.

Burt 4-14

Carn 0-2

Burt cruised to victory against a depleted Carn team at Hibernian Park on Saturday night. Paul McHugh’s fifth minute goal set the tone for a game where Burt were always on top.

Mark Coyle, Conor Harkin, Enda McDermott, Ronan McDermott and Stephen Gillespie were all on target with points before Carn opened their account through Dermot McGonagle in the 25th minute. Gerard Doherty added another point for the Carn men before Dara Grant responded for Burt who led by 1-7 to 0-2 at the break.

Stephen Gillespie and Mark Coyle goaled for Burt within ten minutes of the restart and despite the best defensive efforts of McGonagle, Mickey Nelson and Mickey McLaughlin Carn could not keep Burt at bay.

Dara Grant, Sean McHugh (0-3), Niall Campbell, Mark Coyle and Felim Henry were all on target with points before Henry netted Burt’s fourth goal late on.

Burt: K McDermott; S O’Donnell, B Harrigan, D Gallagher; R Grant, R McDermott (0-1), P McHugh (1-0); E McDermott (0-1), C Harkin (0-1); D Grant (0-2), J Boyle, S McHugh (0-3); M Coyle (1-3), S Gillespie (1-1), P McDermott.

Subs: N Campbell (0-1), D O’Donnell, F Henry (1-1), T McMacken, C McDermott.

Carndonagh: R Lannon; M Nelson, A O’Callaghan, C McDonough; A McCarron, D McGonagle (0-1), M McLaughlin; R Cunningham, P McCallion; S Doherty, G Doherty (0-1), B Doherty; D O’Neill, S O’Callaghan, P Doherty. Subs: C O’Sullivan, E Kelly.

Referee: A McAleer (Muff)

Red Hughs 1-9

Naomh Colmcille 1-11

Eddie Gillespie scored a late goal as Naomh Colmcille came from behind to snatch a dramatic away victory over Red Hughs.

In a close encounter throughout Red Hughs were 0-5 to 0-4 in front at half-time and when Jonathan Carlin struck the back of Marty Callaghan’s net early in the second half the locals had the look of winners about them.

But with Joe Donaghy and Ryan McErlean kicking points the sides were level by the three quarter mark. It was nip and tuck from then until the finish before the locals edged ahead by a point with time almost up.

However, Naomh Colmcille refused to accept defeat and corner back Gillespie proved the unlikely hero when he drilled past Luke Kelly for a super strike.

Red Hughs: L Kelly; A McConnell, S McMenamin, D McCreary; T McMenamin, P McMenamin, R Kelly; E Browne, M Bonner; C Doherty, J Browne, J Carlin; P J Gallagher, C Melaugh, C Bradley.

Naomh Colmcille; M Callaghan; Mark Callaghan, A Devenney, E Gillespie (1-0);P Friel, S McAteer (0-1),J Fullerton; R McKinley, R McErlean (0-3); D Hegarty (0-1), C Devine (0-1), M Dowds; M Crossan (0-2), J Donaghy (0-3), W Gillespie. Subs: D Clarke for R McKinley; R Clarke for J Fullerton.

Referee: R O’Donnell (N Muire).