Division Two round-up: Bundoran go joint top after defeating Naomh Muire

Division Two round-up: Bundoran go joint top after defeating Naomh Muire
A hard-working Naomh Muire played the first half with plenty of men behind the ball to ensure there would not be a repeat of the heavy beating they got from Bundoran in the corresponding fixture at The Banks in May.

A hard-working Naomh Muire played the first half with plenty of men behind the ball to ensure there would not be a repeat of the heavy beating they got from Bundoran in the corresponding fixture at The Banks in May.

Bundoran 0-13

Naomh Muire 0-10

Both sides were much depleted since that game in Annagry and it was the visitors who were probably happiest at half-time just one point behind having played into a moderate breeze.

They had, however, lost Sean Boyle with a suspected fractured hip after he tripped over Pauric Rooney who dived to touch away a bouncing ball in front of the Bundoran goal. It was one of three goal chances the visitors had in the first 35 minutes with James Keaney and Johnny Keenan interventions preventing the ball entering the net earlier in the half.

Bundoran effectively won the game, however, in the opening five minutes of the second half with points from Tommy Hourihane, Diarmuid Spratt and Christy Keaney moving them into a three point lead.

Ciaran McGinley and Paul Boyle traded points with Ciaran McCaughey and Tommy Hourihane and Diarmuid Spratt moved the Seasiders 0-12 to 0-7 ahead with ten minutes to go.

It looked all over when the Tommy Hourihan flicked a high ball over the goalkeeper’s head and despite a despairing attempted clearance the umpire waved the green flag. Referee Connie Doherty, however, ruled the ball had not crossed the line.

Less than a minute later Bundoran were a man down when Christy Keaney was shown a red card.

Naomh Muire saw their opportunity to turn the game and nearly took it. An inspirational point from Sean McClafferty reduced the gap to four, a Paul Boyle free made it three and then the same player reduced the gap just two points as the game entered the last five minutes.

Bundoran brought on one of their many missing players to settle their listing ship with Shane McGowan making his first appearance for ten weeks. When Tommy Hourihane shot the home side’s first point for over ten minutes on the stroke of full-time, Naomh Muire lost their momentum as the home side ran out 0-13 to 0-10 winners.

Best for Bundoran were Pauric Rooney, Ciaran McCaughey and Tommy Hourihane while Paddy McCafferty, Paul Boyle and Brian Gillespie played well for Naomh Muire.

Bundoran: Johnny Keenan; Johnny Boyle, Pauric Rooney, James Keaney; Shane Moohan, Diarmuid McCaughey, Peter McGonigle; Ciaran McCaughey (0-1), Niall Dunne; Paul Delaney, Tommy Hourihane (0-5), Diarmuid Spratt (0-3); Johnny McHale (0-1), Dara Hoey (0-1) and Christy Keaney (0-2). Subs: Shane McGowan (for McHale).

Naomh Muire: Brian Grant; Patrick Rodgers, Thomas Duffy, Robert O’Donnell; David Gallagher, Brian Gillespie, Jamie Boyle; Jack O’Brien, Patrick Gillespie; Hugh Boyle (0-1), Paddy McCafferty Sean Burns; Ciaran McGinley (0-2), Paul Boyle (0-5), Sean Boyle (0-1). Subs used: Sean McClafferty (0-1, for Sean Boyle).

MacCumhaills win

Sean MacCumhaills 0-13

Glenfin 0-12

Darren O’Leary kicked seven points as Sean MacCumhaills claimed the points in their narrow victory over neighbours Glenfin in MacCumhaill Park.

Glenfin got off to a great start and led 0-4 to 0-1 early on before the locals found their rhythm and posted seven points without reply to go in 0-8 to 0-4 in front at half-time. O’Leary (5), Brian Lafferty (2) and Brendan McLaughlin were the MacCumhaills first half scorers.

Joe Marley, Gerard Ward and Kevin McGlynn (2) kicked the Glenfin first half points.

While MacCumhaills extended their half-time advantage out to six points early in the second half, Glenfin responded with six points without reply to tie up the game at 0-10 each, to set up a grandstand finish.

In the frantic closing exhanges, O’Leary and Stephen Mulligan (2) posted the MacCumhaills points with Ward converting two late Glenfin frees.

Sean MacCumhaills: G Doherty; R McMenamin, M Gallagher, A McCloskey; G Grindle, G Dunnion, J Dunnion; S McGowan, R Duffy; B McLaughlin (0-1), B Lafferty(0-2), C Gallen (0-1); A Patton (0-1), D O’ Leary (0-7), R Dunleavy. Sub: S Mulligan for B McLaughlin (black card).

Glenfin: A Walshe; M O’Donnell, R Gallagher, G Martin; G Dorian, J Harkin, D Herron; M McGinty, S Ward; J Morrow (0-2), K McGlynn (0-3), J Marley (0-1); C Moy, G Ward (0-6), M Martin.

Referee: J White (Killybegs)

Fanad enjoy goal spree

Gaeil Fhánada 4-15

St Nauls 1-09

Fanad started with Seimi ‘Coshia’ Friel and Seami ‘Nanny’ Friel getting on the scoreboard early to keep the score level after 10 minutes.

Fanad upped the tempo with long range scores from Paddy McConigley and Michael Sweeney, with Naul’s staying in touch with a point in between. Fanad’s first goal was an opportunistic one from Johnny ‘Nanny’ Friel after a high ball into the box.

St. Naul’s replied quickly with a goal of their own, however minutes later Fanad reacted well with Johnny Nanny getting his second goal with a great fisted effort. The half ended with two further points for Naul’s and two points from Fanad from Seami Nanny leaving the score at 2-6 to 1-5 with Fanad ahead.

The second half started with a great team score finished by Marty McAteer, which was quickly cancelled out by a short range free from Naul’s. Johnny Nanny completed his hat trick after the Naul’s goalkeeper spilled a long ball and he pounced and finished well. Ryan McGonigle followed up the goal with another point from play to which Naul’s replied with a point to leave the score at 3-8 to 1-7, with 15 minutes left. However from here it was all Fanad with Michael Sweeney (2 points) and Marty McAteer (1 point) pushing Fanad further ahead. Following another great team move by Fanad, Ronan McAteer finished well to the net to earn Fanad their fourth goal. Frank Sweeney, Seami Nanny (2) and Michael Sweeney finished the scoring for Fanad with Naul’s landing two further points to finish the game.

Six point win

Na Dúnaibh 1-10

Cloch Ceann Fhaola 1-16

Cloich Ceann Fhaola left a sunny Pairc Na Dúniabh with two valuable points following a close encounter on Sunday afternoon. The teams were level on four occasions during the hour but a goal from substitute John Mc Garvey four minutes from the end was the decisive score and swung the result in favour of the visitors.

Cloch Ceann Fhaola: Sean Mc Clafferty, Cian Mc Fadden, Kevin Mc Fadden, Martin Ferry, Declan Mc Garvey, Lee O Brien, Kevin Mulhern(0-1), Ciaran Scanlon(0-1), Martin Maguire, Paddy Cannon(0-1), Darren Mc Geever(0-1), Shaun Mc Garvey(0-1), John Harley, Shaun Maguire(0-2), Denis Boyle(0-8,5 frees). Sub: John Mc Garvey(1-1)

Na Dúnaibh: Brendan Mc Gee, Conor Shields, Gerard Coyle, Seamus Gallagher, Oisin Boyce(0-1), David Hay, James Mc Bride, James Lee Mc Bride, Shane Boyce, Patrick Mc Groddy, Brian Mc Ginley, Sean Mc Ginley(1-1), Shane Buchanan(0-4,all frees), Seaghan Mc Clafferty, Colin Gallagher(0-4). Subs: Dale Mc Fadden, Finian Mc Clafferty

Referee: Tony Gallagher