Glenfin overcome Cloughaneely to secure play-off spot in Division Two

Glenfin have secured their place in the Division 2 promotion play-off but only after making heavy work of a plucky Cloughaneely side on Saturday evening.

Glenfin have secured their place in the Division 2 promotion play-off but only after making heavy work of a plucky Cloughaneely side on Saturday evening.

Glenfin 0-16

Cloughaneely 2-8

It took the bones of 10 minutes for Glenfin to get on the scoresheet with Stephen McDermott tapping over after a surging run through the middle, as the home side looked to get a foothold in the game.

Glenfin ‘keeper Andrew Walsh was at the centre of several talking points during the match, both good and bad, but showed his class 12 minutes in, pulling off a wonderful save against Paul Sweeney, a save which seemed to spur his team into action.

Ciaran Moy, who put on an exhibition of point taking, and Gary Dorrian scored in quick succession to give Glenfin the lead, 0-8 to 0-13, seemingly in complete control of the match.

However as half time approached, Cloughaneely were gifted a goal, and goalkeeper Walsh was once again in the spotlight. Shaun McGarvey drilled in a long, low ball which neither full back nor full forward got a touch to, and Walsh was left rooted to the spot as it passed him.

Glenfin responded well, Paddy Costello pointing just before the half time whistle to leave three points between the teams at the break.

Glenfin came out fighting in the second half, Moy hitting his stride as he took 3 excellent scores in a row. Cloughaneely went out of the game, failing to score for the first 10 minutes of the half, and looked a beaten team. However Glenfin were once again undone by a long ball into the square, and fingers were once again pointed at the goalkeeper as he failed to deal with the danger and allowed Paul Sweeney to scramble the ball home. A tense affair followed, as a revived Cloughaneely wide put more and more pressure on the Glenfin defence, an excellent Mark McGinty block saving what was surely another goal for the visitors. Denis Boyle and Shaun McGarvey scores for Cloughaneely left only a point between the teams. Glenfin, having subbed on the injury-hampered full back Gavin McDermott for additional cover at the back, were steadied by points from Ciaran Moy, Gerard Ward and Frank McGlynn; however they never looked comfortable with their lead and were made to dig in deep to secure the victory. Paul Sweeney and Shaun McGarvey points weren’t enough for Cloughaneely as Glenfin took the points and the promotion spot; 0-16 to 2-08.

Glenfin: Andrew Walsh; John Harkin, Mark McGinty, Dan McGlynn; Gary Dorrian (0-1); Frank McGlynn (0-1), Stephen McGlynn; Michael McGlynn (0-1), Stephen McDermott(0-1); Conor Ward, Kevin McGlynn, Paddy Costello (0-1); Ciaran Moy (0-7, 3f), Gerard Ward (0-2, 1f), Kieran Foy (0-2). Subs: Gavin McDermott for Costello; Hugh Foy for Foy.

Cloughaneely: Sean McClafferty; Michael Lynch, Kevin McFadden, Cian McFadden; Conor McGee, Lee O’Brien, Declan McGarvey; Kevin Mulhern, Darren McGeever; Paddy Cannon (0-1), Shaun McGarvey (1-5, 4f), Denis Boyle (0-1); Shaun Maguire, Paul Sweeney (1-1), John McGarvey.

Subs: Eamon Curran for D McGeever, Ciaran McGeever for O’Brien, Killian Gallagher for J McGarvey.