Dungloe overpower St Eunan’s to lift U-16A championship

Dungloe overpower St Eunan’s to lift U-16A championship
Dungloe U-16 footballers are the toast of Rosses Park this week following their county final victory over St Eunan’s.

Dungloe U-16 footballers are the toast of Rosses Park this week following their county final victory over St Eunan’s.

The Dungloe boys defeated a highly fancied St Eunan’s at the end of a cracking contest at the Burn Road in Termon on Saturday afternoon.

Centre half-forward Ryan Greene stole the show with a personal tally of 2-6 of the champions’ tally.

Man of the match Barry Curran was also among the goalscorers. The others to hit the St Eunan’s net were Ryan Connors, James McCole and Mark Curran in what was a high octane and power packed performance from the Dungloe boys.

Dungloe got off to a dream start and scored the early goal with Ryan Connors palming to the Eunan’s net. That was on 90 seconds and after the Eunan’s defence failed to deal with a Danny Rodgers 45 that dropped short.

Yet, despite the start, the champions were on the back foot for the next quarter an hour as St Eunan’s took control.

And with Odhran McGinley and Ciaran Maloney charging forward and Rory Carr and Niall O’Donnell carving the openings, the Letterkenny boys reeled off six points without reply.

They led 0-6 to 0-1 at the end of the first quarter and had all the appearance of champions in waiting.

With Barry Curran and Matthew Ward driving down the middle, Dungloe did make some ground. Greene posted four points in the space of as many minutes to see the Rosses boys hit the front again 1-4 to 0-6 by the 19th minute mark. But Eunan’s were back in front again 0-8 to 1-4 shortly afterwards.

Nathan White levelled it once more before Barry Curran powered through for Dungloe’s second goal and decisive score to send his side in 2-5 to 0-8 in front at half-time.

While O’Donnell made it a two-point game within seconds of the restart, Dungloe were soon back in business. Hugh Moy restored a three-point advantage before Greene drilled home goal number three to move his side into a seven-point lead. Carr and McGinley pointed before on the three-quarter mark, Greene took a super pass from Brian O’Donnell for goal number four.

The game was up for St Eunan’s shortly afterwards when Brian O’Donnell received his marching orders for a second yellow card offence.

He was followed shortly afterwards by Dungloe’s Matthew Rodgers, who received a straight red card after the Hugo Wallace consulted with his umpires.

With the clocking ticking James McCole and Mark Curran pounced for late goals to round off a great day for the Dungloe boys.

Dungloe: Danny Rodgers; Jason McBride, Brian O’Donnell, Matthew Rodgers; Caolan Ward, Mark Curran (1-0), James McCole (1-0); Matthew Ward, Barry Curran (1-1); Matthew O’Brien, Ryan Greene (2-6,4f), Aaron Boyle; Nathan White (0-1,1f), Ryan Connors (1-0), Hugh Moy (0-1). Subs: John Frampton for H Moy (50), Jack Greene for N White (52), Owen Doogan for A Boyle (60)

St Eunan’s: Brandon Jordan; Gavin Maguire, Darragh McWalters, Pierce Gallagher; Ronan Crossan, Odhrán McGinley (0-2), Ciaran Diver; Ciaran Maloney(0-1), Conor Moore; Paddy Ryan, Niall O’Donnell (0-4, 1f), Padraig McAleer; John McIntyre, Rory Carr (0-2,1f), Jake Whelan (0-2,1f). Subs: Sean Halvey for C Diver (34), Kevin Grant for R Crossan (39), Brian McIntyre for J McIntyre (49).

Referee: Hugo Wallace (Burt)