Clinical goal from McHugh seals game

Peter Campbell, Spor


Peter Campbell, Spor

Clinical goal from McHugh seals game
A magnificent Mark McHugh goal and a lack lustre second half from Killybegs were the main talking points from this game in Fintra.

A magnificent Mark McHugh goal and a lack lustre second half from Killybegs were the main talking points from this game in Fintra.

Killybegs 2-4

Killlybegs 1-14

McHugh’s run and one-two with Ciaran McGinley before blasting to the net came in the last attack of the first half and put Kilcar on the front foot, ahead by 1-4 to 1-3 at the break.

When Ciaran McGinley powered forward from the second half throw-in to point on 10 seconds, the floodgates opened and Killybegs didn’t raise another flag until the 59th minute when a ‘wide’ from Daniel Breslin was flagged as a point by Ryan Walsh’s umpire.

In added time Eoghan Ban Gallagher hit a good goal, but it only put a better look on the scoreboard.

By then Killybegs were ragged and they had lost David Conwell to a straight red card for a clash with Ciaran McGinley off the ball in the 50th minute. Kevin Martin (first half) and Christopher Murrin were lucky to escape with yellows. Kilcar had Cormac Cannon black-carded on 50 minutes for holding back Eoghan Ban off the ball.

Kilcar, without Patrick McBrearty, Conor McShane and Eoin McHugh, were still too strong with Mark McHugh putting in a man of the match performance and Michael Hegarty and Ciaran McGinley very influential. They will need the three players missing, though, for future rounds and they will also need their talisman Michael Hegarty to stay healthy.


The opening half of this game was the only period when the game was interesting. Killlybegs hunted in packs and frustrated Kilcar and their goal on six minutes left them in front for most of the half.

It came after a high ball in from Hugh McFadden was broken by Paul Cunningham and Brendan McGuire first timed to the net.

Michael Hegarty and Ciaran McGinley points got Kilcar back level before Gavin Boyle and a Kevin Martin free edged Killybegs ahead 1-3 to 0-4 with three minutes left in the half.

Then came the game changer. Michael Hegarty won a kick out and Mark McHugh drove forward to fire to the net.

The second half was all one-way traffic with Kilcar scoring at will. They had nine different scorers in all.

The win means they are guaranteed a place in the quarter-final draw.

Killybegs: M Mullin; D Conwell, N Carberry, D O’Donnell; G Boyle (0-1), S Molloy, E Ban Gallagher (1-0); H McFadden (0-1,f), V Smyth; D Breslin (0-1), B Cannon, C Murrin; K Martin (0-1), P Cunningham, B McGuire (1-0). Subs., E Murphy for P Cunningham 50; E Broderick for Martin 59; J Ban Gallagher for G Boyle 60.

Kilcar: K Campbell; P Gallagher, B Shovlin, P Carr; A McClean, M McHugh (1-1), C Cannon; M Hegarty (0-3), C McGinley (0-2); S McBrearty (0-2,2f), R McHugh (0-1), A McGinley (0-1); M Sweeney (0-2), C Doherty (0-1), M McClean. Sub., D O’Donnell for Cannon (black card, 50)

Referee: R Walsh (Bundoran)