Persistent Glenfin’s one point win

Persistent Glenfin’s one point win
Cloughaneely welcomed Glenfin to Páirc Naomh Fionán in the second game of the Senior Championship.

Cloughaneely welcomed Glenfin to Páirc Naomh Fionán in the second game of the Senior Championship.

Cloughaneely 1-11

Glenfin 1-12

It was a must win game for both teams, given that both had lost their first round championship games.

The incessant rain had a major impact on the game and the playing surface; however despite the inconvenience both teams faced the challenge head on in a game which went down to the wire.

Glenfin got off to a strong start with Paddy O Connor having a storming start and notching up 2 points within quick succession – this lead stayed with the visitors throughout the game. The visitors made their intentions clear early on, when Gerard Ward brilliantly rounded the CCF defence and was straight in on goal; luckily for the home side his shot hit the post! Denis Boyle got CCF on the scoreboard 6 mins in with a well taken free; which was negated a few mins later by a Glenfin free, which Gerard Ward easily converted. Cloughaneely welcomed Shaun McGarvey back into the senior fold and he made his contribution with a point 14 mins in. Kevin Mulhern showed well for the home side and was involved in many key interceptions. For the home side, Martin McGuire, Ciaran Scanlon and Paul Sweeney all contributed to the 1st half CCF tally, with Paddy O Connor, Gerard Ward, Conor Ward, being the main scorers for Glenfin. Just before the half time whistle Glenfin’s Mark McGinty, gave the visitors an extra boost by hammering home a goal to put them in a satisfactory 4 point lead going in at half time

Half time score: CCF 0-06, Glenfin 1-07.

The goal did not sway the confidence and persistence of the home side going into the 2nd half. Although Glenfin got 2nd half proceedings underway thanks to a Conor Ward point, CCF battled strongly and were awarded a penalty in the 40th minute which was expertly netted by Declan McGarvey to put CCF within 1 point of the visitors, which made for a nail- biting final 20 mins.

Glenfin, persistent in their efforts, never let their lead slip.

County star Frank McGlynn showed his true colours in the 42nd minute, by notching up a great point after an outstanding run.

CCF substitute Cillian Gallagher got his name on the score sheet with an outstanding point from a difficult angle 46 mins in. 52 mins in and Glenfin’s Gavin McDermott was shown the side-line for a second yellow card offence. Declan McGarvey added two further points to his personal tally in the dying minutes of the game.

Glenfin again have the sharp shooting of Gerard Ward, Conor Ward and Paddy O Connor to thank for maintaining their lead to finish out the day with a 1 point win!

CCF: Shaun McClafferty, John Harley, Conor McGee (0-01), Kevin Mulhern, Eugene McGuire, Cian McFadden, Lee O’Brien, Ciaran Scanlon (0-01), Martin McGuire (0-03), Paddy Cannon, Shaun McGarvey (0-01), Denis Boyle (0-01, 1F), Paul Sweeney (0-01), Declan McGarvey (1-02, 1 P).

CCF Subs: Denis Boyle Black card, replaced by Jason McGee (32 mins). Shaun McGarvey replaced by John McGarvey, 38 mins. Martin McGuire replaced by Cillian Gallagher (0-01) (45 mins)

Glenfin: Andrew Walsh, Martin O Donnell, Ronan Gallagher, Daniel Harkin, Mark McGinty (1-0), Frank McGlynn (0-01), Gary Herron, Michael McGlynn, Gavin, McDermott, Conor Ward (0-03), Gerard Ward (0-04, 2F), Paddy O;Connor (0-4), Jason Morrow, Kevin McGlynn, Stephen McGlynn,