Termon shock Ardara with two second half goals

Termon shock Ardara with two second half goals
In a bizarre game in Ardara, Termon had their first win of the season with a great second half, especially from Caolan McDaid and substitute Christy Conaghan

In a bizarre game in Ardara, Termon had their first win of the season with a great second half, especially from Caolan McDaid and substitute Christy Conaghan

Ardara 0-12

Termon 2-10

The game changed five minutes into the second half when Brendan McNelis was yellow carded and then issued with a black before play restarted. Referee Andrew Mullin didn’t show a red and there was confusion on the line.

Jimmy O’Connell went in to replace McNelis in the confusion but was sent back to the line by the referee

Ardara were leading by 0-8 to 0-4 at the time but when they got their house in order Termon were level with a goal from Caolan McDaid and a free from Trevor Alcorn.

Termon were then hit with a black card for Kevin McDaid as Ardara recovered to go two clear again through Shane O’Donnell and a magnificent effort from CJ Molloy after 45 minutes.

But Termon had the dander up and the introduction of Christy Conaghan was a vital factor. He hit two points in as many minutes to level matters and then Conaghan worked the opening along the endline to set up Caolan McDaid for his second goal and Termon were three clear with eight minutes left.

Conaghan added a free before Conor Classon bore down on goal and found Tomas Boyle but his effort came back off the foot of the post. Shane O’Donnell pointed from the rebound.

Ardara lost Paddy McGrath to injury in the frantic closing minutes as Caolan McDaid put four between them again.

Ardara went searching for the much needed goal but a point from Shane O’Donnell was all they could muster and Caolan McDaid closed out the game with the final point three minutes into added time.


Termon had the better start and with the aid of the stiff breeze had two points on the door inside 10 minutes through a Daire McDaid free and one from play by Stephen McElwaine.

Ardara looked sluggish early on but then took control and they hit seven points without reply before Termon had the final point of the half from a Caolan McDaid free in the 27th minute.

With Paddy McGrath and Kenneth Doherty driving them forward, the points flowed. Brendan Boyle got the opener and they had five points in five minutes between the 10th and 15th minute. Brendan McNelis and Tomas Boyle both hit two (one free each), C J Molloy and Gareth Concarr got the others as they took a 0-7 to 0-3 lead to the dressing room.

There will be post mortems in Ardara for a few days about this result. They will not be happy with referee, Andrew Mullin, who did have a high free count against them - 16-8 in the first half and 14-5 in the second.

But they will also wonder how they let a game slip that they had securely in their grasp at half-time and with the wind at their back in the second half.

Termon can thank Caolan McDaid, in particular, for some wonderful finishing and Paddy McDaid’s introduction of Christy Conaghan when the game was in the melting pot was the decisive part of the game. Conaghan made an immediate impact, scoring two points and then creating the second goal.

Ardara: D Gallagher; S McLaughlin, D Gavigan, P Gallagher; P McGrath, S McHugh, K Herron; B Boyle (0-1), K Doherty; S O’Donnell, (0-3) C Classon, B McNelis (0-2,1f); T Boyle (0-2,1f), C J Molloy (0-2), G Concarr (0-2). Subs., K Breslin for P Gallagher 24; J O’Connell for B Boyle 46; K Byrne for K Breslin 54; N Maguire for McGrath 59.

Termon: M Boyle; J O’Donnell, K McDaid, S McDaid; N McElwaine, J Doherty, J English; A Sweeney, J McCafferty; S McElwaine (0-2), C McDaid (2-3, 0-1f), R Gallagher; D Conaghan, D McDaid (0-1,1f), T Alcorn (0-1,f). Subs., O Doherty for R Gallagher 18; D Gibson for K McDaid, black card, 43; C Conaghan (0-3,2f) for T Alcorn 48; B Alcorn for J McCafferty 60.

Referee: A Mullin (Killybegs)