PCC Falcarragh saunter to Arthur’s Cup semi-final

PCC Falcarragh saunter to Arthur’s Cup semi-final
Pobascoil Chloich Cheannfhaola roasted St Joseph’s of Enniskillen on Tuesday to reach the semi-finals of the Arthur’s Ulster U-16 Cup.

Pobascoil Chloich Cheannfhaola roasted St Joseph’s of Enniskillen on Tuesday to reach the semi-finals of the Arthur’s Ulster U-16 Cup.

Pobascoil Chloich

Cheannfhaola 6-11

St Joseph’s, Enniskillen 1-4

The Donegal champions were in complete control on the 4G pitch at Tyrone’s sparkling, if a little chilly, centre of excellence at Garvahey.

Michael Fitzgerald hammered in 3-5 in an excellent show at full-forward, while Ciaran McGinley scored two and Michéal Mulhern - drafted in late in the day as Christopher Cannon had ‘flu - also found the net.

St Joseph’s, managed by Fermanagh native and Monaghan’s Ulster championship winning manager Malachy O’Rourke, were never in the game.

The ease with which Langan was allowed to ghost along the endline and shoot past Thomas Og McGurran for the first goal of the afternoon on three minutes was, in retrospect, a telltale sign.

Stephen Doohan’s team continued to press on and, if anything, they were possibly culpable of going for goal when points might’ve done but misssed goal chances.

St Joseph’s, who were smacked 4-17 to 1-4 at the same stage of the competition last year by Coláiste na Carraige, were looking precarious at 1-4 to 0-1 down as the clock ticked towards 30 minutes.

However, PCC’s insistence on going to goal certainly played dividends when they scored three goals in as many minutes of first half stoppage time.

Firstly, a quickly-taken free from Michael Fitzgerald found Langan in space to turn and shoot his team’s second goal.

Then, from their next attack, Langan turned provider for McGinley to score his first of the afternoon before Langan, after a give and go with Colin McFadden, made the half-time score 4-4 to 0-1 - a whirlwind conclusion to the first half.

PCC, who had the wind in the opening period, played ball in hand in the second half and easily kept St Joseph’s at arms length. A succession of points followed, before

Lorcan McStavrick scored the Fermanagh team’s first point in 26 minutes before substitute Ethan Butler grabbed a consolation goal. PCC, though, finished with aplomb and fired in late goals through McGinley, who appeared to be shooting for a point, and Mulhern to round off a fuss-free day at the office.

PCC will now face the Derry champions St Patrick’s and St Brigid’s College from Claudy in the semi-finals at some stage next week.

Pobascoil Chloich Cheannfhaola: Dean McColgan; Noel Sweeney, Jamie Hunter, Dylan Harkin; Ciaran McFadden, Michéal Mulhern (0-3), Denis Coll; Jason McGee, Daniel Devlin; Ciaran McGinley (2-0), Dylan Doherty, Lee McColgan (0-1); Shane Langan, Michael Langan (3-5, 2f), Michael Fitzgerald (0-1). Subs: Colin McFadden for Doherty (16), Liam Kelly and Patrick Darcy for Seeeney and N Langan (54), Aaron Carton and Jonathon Harkin for S Langan and Fitzgerald.

St Joseph’s Enniskillen: Thomas Og McGurran, Conor Miller, Dara Traynor, Jason Howe, Jamie McCormack, Enda Cassidy (0-1), Dara Carty, Jonathan Cassidy, Eoin Cleary, Eoin Beacom, Ronan Farry, Jordan Breen, Lorcan McStravick (0-1), Stephen Leonard, Ryan Morris (0-2, 2f). Subs: Ethan Butler (1-0) for Jordan Breen.

Referee: John Devlin (Tyrone).