St. Eunan’s too strong for Termon

St. Eunan’s too strong for Termon
In the end it was an easy win for St. Eunan’s who scored three second half goals to coast to victory.

In the end it was an easy win for St. Eunan’s who scored three second half goals to coast to victory.

St. Eunan’s 4-8

Termon 1-5

But Termon can take heart from a decent performance. They actually led this game in the early stages of the second half after a brilliant goal from midfielder, Aidan Sweeney.

St. Eunan’s however, always carried the greater threat coming forward and once they got their noses back in front, they killed off the Termon challenge by keeping the visitors scoreless for the final 20 minutes.

The win came two weeks after St. Eunan’s opening day win away to St. Michael’s. Without their county senior and U-21 contingent, Maxi Curran’s side still had too much for Termon and led 1-3 to 0-3 at half time.

Donncha Gallagher scored the Eunan’s goal just before the break, palming Lee McMonagle’s pass to the net after Kevin Rafferty’s quick free.

Termon, for whom Daire McDaid scored three points from placed balls in the first half, weren’t helped by the loss of Johnny McCafferty and Declan O’Donnell both to injury in that first half. They got the perfect start to the second half when Aidan Sweeney crashed the ball in past John Paul Clarke. Within a minute, another Daire McDaid free had them in front.

But St. Eunan’s refused to panic and scores from Gallagher (two points) and Michael Miller put them 1-6 to 1-4 in front after 38 minutes. Kevin McDaid kicked a free for Termon to reduce the gap to a point but that was to be his team’s last score of the game as St. Eunan’s upped the ante.

Their goals in the closing stages came from Conall Dunne, Lee McMonagle and a Donncha Gallagher penalty. St. Eunan’s: JP Clarke; C. Morrisson, C. Ward, P. Devine; O. Carr, M. Martin, J. McBride; K. Rafferty, S. Hensey; C. O’Donnell, C. Dunne (1-1), C. Gibbons (0-1); L. McMonagle (1-1), D. Gallagher (2-4, 3 frees), M. Miller (0-1). Subs: D. Tyrell for McBride, J. Haran for Gibbons, P. McGowan for McMonagle, C. McGinley for Morrison.

Termon: C. Tinney; D. Conaghan, A. McGrenra, J. O’Donnell; D. O’Donnell, J. English, J. Gallagher; O. Doherty, A. Sweeney (1-0); S. McElwaine, J. McCafferty, K. McDaid (0-1, free); T. Alcorn, D. McDaid (0-4, 3 frees, 1 ‘45), C. McDaid. Subs: P. McDaid for McCafferty; B. Alcorn for D. O’Donnell, r. Galalgher for Doherty, A. Dugera for McGrenra, N. McElwaine for Conaghan, B. Friel for C. McDaid.

Referee: S. McGonagle.