Bundoran edge close tie against Killybegs

Bundoran edge close tie against Killybegs
A big call by referee Michael Mulhern in the final minutes probably decided this close game at Bundoran .

A big call by referee Michael Mulhern in the final minutes probably decided this close game at Bundoran .

Bundoran 1-12

Killybegs 2-7

A high ball was won by Hugh McFadden, who tapped to Benny Byrne, who was surrounded. Instead of winning a free, he was penalised for overcarrying and Bundoran went upfield for Jamie Brennan to put two between them.

That came three minutes from time. Hugh McFadden almost clinched it for the Fishermen in added time when he again won a high ball, turned and drove just over the crossbar. A minute later Jamie Brennan added his third point to ease the home side through.

Slow Start

It took this game some time to come to the boil, but when it did we had a cracking opening half. Both sides were denied goal chances in the opening minutes, Hugh McFadden for Killybegs and Michael McEniff for Bundoran, both bringing great saves at the expense of 45s.

Benny Byrne had the opening point, fisting over but then Bundoran came to life with three points, two fro Gary Clancy and one from Tommy Hourihane.

The first goal came on 20 minutes when a high ball from Jason Noctor was palmed to the net by Hugh McFadden, but Bundoran went straight up field and Jamie Brennan won a penalty even though he bundled the ball over the line. Tommy Hourihane’s penalty was not the best, but it too got over the line.

The final minutes of the half saw points of the highest order. Benny Byrne had the first before Bundoran hit three from Hourihane, Diarmuid Spratt and Christy Keaney, before Hugh McFadden pointed a 50m free to leave it 1-6 to 1-3 at the break.

The second half was very evenly contested with Killybegs getting back on terms when Matthew Smyth and McFadden combined to set up Charles Tully to goal, but then Bundoran edged ahead in the closing minutes.

Killybegs lost two players in the second half, Daniel Breslin to a yellow and black and Enda Murphy to two yellows.

Bundoran: J Keenan; P Stuttard, D McCaughey, P Rooney; P McGonigle, S McGowan, C Keaney (0-2); N Dunne, P Delaney; T Hourihane (1-2, pen), D Spratt (0-1), G Clancy (0-4,3f,45); J Brennan (0-3), D Hoey, M McEniff. Subs., J McHale for Stuttard 44; A Coyne for Delaney 48; S Moohan for McGonigle 52.

Killybegs: M Mullen; N Carbery, B Cannon, O Ban Gallagher; J Ban Gallagher, S Molloy, C Murrin; E Murphy, M Smyth; C Tully (1-1), D Conwell, D Breslin; B Boyle (0-2), H McFadden (1-4,3f)J Noctor. Sub., M Boyle for Tully 50

Referee: M Mulhern (St. Eunan’s)