Four Masters see off Cloughaneely in U-21 championship

Four Masters see off Cloughaneely in U-21 championship
A late Four Masters goal helped turn an U-21 Championship quarter-final where Cloughaneely dominated for long periods.

A late Four Masters goal helped turn an U-21 Championship quarter-final where Cloughaneely dominated for long periods.

Four Masters 1-12

Cloughaneely 1-9

The Donegal Town men failed to make an early impression as Cloughaneely showed more hunger in the first half.

Sean McGarvey opened the scoring in the third minute from play to put Cloughaneely into the lead but this lead would be exchanged several times as the game began to unfold.

Cillian Gallagher added a fine fisted effort a minute later and it was the sixth minute before Four Masters would register a score.

Dillon Ward took on a long range shot from play and his effort sailed over the bar leaving it 0-2 to 0-1. Team mate Kevin Breslin levelled the game on eight minutes with an equally good long-range effort in a game that was now starting to open up into a well contested match.

John Harley put Cloughaneely with a good score after a solid run. Masters levelled, this through Darren Doherty’s effort.

Now it was Masters time to hit the front and Luke Keeney stepped up to point a long range free won after Gavin Bennett was upended.

Ciaran Curneen added a further classy score when he pointed from play after a powerful run through the middle in the 19th minute.

Masters now seemed to be in the driving seat but Cloughaneely showed a gritty attitude and came firing back.

They could well have had a legitimate calls for a penalty after Darren Walsh seemed to bundle John McGarvey as he bore down on goal.

The claim was waved on and McGarvey got a second chance on goal a minute later but this time his powerful effort went over the bar. In the 25th minute a Sean McGarvey free after Martin Ferry was fouled saw the game squared at 0-5 each with 25 minutes gone.

Two minutes later Cloughaneely hit the back of the net to capitalise on their good form. Shaun McGarvey picked up a Ciaran McGeady pass to blast the net.

Three minutes later he pointed a free and on the stroke of half time he pointed a fine score from play after gathering a low ball and turning with a quick shot. This ended the half with double scores between the sides at Cloughaneely 1-7 to 0-5.

It took seven minutes into the half before they opened the scoring with a well worked point between Keaney, Muldoon and McBrearty who tipped it over.

Holding much of the early half possession Four Masters wasted a great deal of chances before Cloughaneely answered back with a Kevin McFadden score from play.

Midway through the half Dillon Ward found a vein of form that saw him point leaving it 0-7 to 1-8.

As they began to claw back the scores they made a serious charge on goal with up to three shots being keep out by some desperate Cloughaneely defending until a rebound landed at the feet of Damien Harley to point at close range leaving a goal in it at 0-8 to 1-8.

In the 56th minute, Ward added a free before John Harley pulled one back with the game on a knife edge in the 25th minute at 0-9 to 1-9.

Ward again registered a point as the Four Master pressure built. Ray Bolgan had little impact in the tie, but this was about to change.

A wave of Masters players spilled forward and yet another goalmouth scramble ensued, as Cloughaneely cleared, the ball was soon back in Masters hands and when Bolgan picked it up on the edge of the square he only had eye for goal.

Through the crowded area his inch perfect strike rattled the net and put his team in front with 28 minutes gone. John Boyle and a rampant Ward sealed the deal with points late into injury time putting three between them at the final whistle.

FOUR MASTERS: Ryan Haughey; Caolan Loughney, Darren Walsh, Leo McHugh; Ciaran Curneen (0-1), John Boyle (0-1), Kevin Breslin (0-1); Luke Keaney (0-1, 1f), Kevin McBrearty (0-1); Gavin Bennett, Dillon Ward (0-5, 1f), Stephen Graham; Emmet Doogan, Dillon Muldoon, Darren Doherty (0-1). Subs: Ray Bolgan (1-0) for Bennett (27), Daniel Harley (0-1) for Graham (33), Gavin Bennett for Doogan (53).

CLOUGHANEELY: Sean McClafferty; Daniel Roarty, Cian McFadden, Sean Gallagher; Martin Ferry, Lee O’Brien, Shane Ferry; Kevin McFadden (0-1), Shaun McGarvey (1-4, 3f); Cillian Gallagher (0-1), John Harley (0-2), Joe Coll; Martin Ferry, John McGarvey (0-1), Ciaran McGeady.

Referee: Tony Gallagher (Red Hughs)