Four Masters come good after second half scare

Four Masters come good after second half scare
Four Masters were the better side but they needed all their fighting qualities as Ardara came back at them in the second half.

Four Masters were the better side but they needed all their fighting qualities as Ardara came back at them in the second half.

Four Masters 0-13

Ardara 2-6

The Donegal Town men looked to be cruising to victory but a two goal salvo in the third quarter turned the game on its head and Declan Gavigan actually put Ardara ahead with 13 minutes left.

The first goal came from Gareth Concarr on 34 minutes and then Concarr dispossessed Durcan on 46 minutes and Kieran Breslin sidefooted home.

But then Four Masters hit back with subsitute Conor McDaid scoring with his first touch and Raymie McGrory and Karl Lacey pushed them two clear.

Conor Classon reduced the leeway but an injury time ‘45’ from Paul Durcan sealed the issue after Caolan Loughney was denied from point blank range.

Gareth Concarr had a late free but decided to take his point but it seemed he had little choice as it was the last kick of the game.

Four Masters dominated the opening half and led by 0-7 to 0-1 at the break. The only talking point of the opening half was a small melee when Conor Classon caught Barry Monaghan late.

Ardara’s woes were not helped when Brendan Boyle had to stretchered from the field with 16 minutes gone.

Conor McMonagle (3), Kevin McBrearty and the excellent Karl Lacey were among the scorers with Luke Keaney getting them up and running inside 14 seconds.

The win eases the relegation worries for Four Masters but they probably need a few more points to steer cleare of the relegation play-off game.

For Ardara, it looks as if they are going to be involved in that relegation play-off as they are getting stuck in that second from bottom place.

Four Masters: P Durcan (0-1,45); D Quinn, D Walsh, D McGarrigle; J Boyle, B Dunnion (0-1), J Lacey; L Keaney (0-1), B Monaghan; K Lacey (0-2), K McBrearty (0-2), C Loughney; R McGrory (0-1), C McMonagle (0-3,2f), S Carr (0-1). Subs., C McDaid (0-1,f) for McBrearty 47; K Breslin for Boyle 55.

Ardara: D Gallagher; S McLaughlin, D Gavigan (0-1), K Breslin; K Herron, C Classon (0-1), K Byrne; K Doherty, J O’Connell; K Breslin (1-0), B Boyle, M Shovlin (0-1); P McNelis (0-1), S McHugh, G Concarr (1-1,1f). Subs., T Boyle for B Boyle 18; P McHugh for K Breslin 56.

Referee: J White (Killybegs)

Kilcar 4-16

St. Michael’s 0-9

The clash in Towney was a non-event with St. Michael’s hardly raising a gallop in a disappointing encounter.

Kilcar led by 3-9 to 0-4 at the break, the goals from Ashley Carr, Eoin McHugh and a classic from Patrick McBrearty after a run from his own half late in the half.

The second half saw no improvement from the visitors and Kilcar continued to score at will with Ashley Carr helping himself to a second goal.

Scorers - Kilcar: Ashley Carr 2-2; Patrick McBrearty 1-2; Mark McHugh 0-4,1f; Eoin McHugh 1-1; Mark Sweeney 0-3; Ciaran McGinley 0-2; Barry Shovlin, Darragh O’Donnell 0-1 each.

St. Michael’s: Colm McFadden 0-3; D Doak, D McLaughlin, M McElhinney, A CKelly, S Coyle, M McGinley 0-1 each.

Naomh Conaill 1-9

St Eunan’s 2-6

The Letterkenny side went in with a 1-5 to 0-2 half-time advantage thanks to a goal from Conall Dunne on 23 minutes and when Eamonn Doherty added a second St Eunan’s goal, it looked like the away win was all but guaranteed.

However, Paddy Campbell’s team fought their way back into the match with Dermot Molloy featuring heavily from placed balls and their hopes took a real boost when Johnny McLoone and AJ Gallagher combined for the latter to bundle home a goal 12 minutes from time.

That brought Naomh Conaill back to 2-6 to 1-6 down but points from John O’Malley, Molloy and a boomer from McLoone earned the draw.

Naomh Conaill: Stephen McGrath; Ciaran Brennan (0-1), Jason Campbell, Johnny Bonner; James Doherty, Cathal Ellis, Marty Boyle; Johnny McLoone (0-1), Mark Gallagher; Eoin Waide (0-1), Eunan Doherty, AJ Gallagher (1-0); John O’Malley (0-2, 2f), Dermot Molloy (0-4, 3f, 45), Leo McLoone.

St Eunan’s: Damian Martin; Peter Devine, Michéal Martin, Conor Parke (0-1); Kieran Sharkey, Eamonn Doherty (1-0), Darrah Mulgrew; Kevin Rafferty, Rory Kavanagh; Sean Hensey, Conall Dunne (1-0), Sean McVeigh; Lee McMonagle (0-1), John Haran (0-1), Donnacha Gallagher (0-3, 45, 2f). Subs: Damien Martin for McVeigh (half-time), Conor Gibbons for McMonagle (52).

Referee: Martin Coll (Gaoth Dobhair)

Division 2

Glenfin 1-7

Bundoran 2-10

After securing their senior status last weekend with a huge win over Cloughaneely, Glenfin’s hopes of promotion to Division 1 were dealt a huge blow by Bundoran in Pairc Taobhoige.

Bundoran are considered something of a bogey team for Francie Martin’s men having secured just one point against them in the last four years; a trend that continued on Sunday as Bundoran once again took victory, despite having to play most of the game with 14 men after Jonny McHale was sent off in the 22nd minute for a second yellow.

Tommy Hourihane was a key player for the Bundoran men, scoring 1-4, and getting the first point of the match from a free after 3 minutes. Glenfin responded well, and a beautiful flowing move involving Conor Ward and Michael McGlynn resulted in Malachy Martin prodding home the ball for a goal to give Glenfin the lead. Bundoran seemed to be content to sit back and conserve their energy while they had the wind in the favour, tackling hard in an attempt to disrupt Glenfin’s rhythm.

This strategy backfired as Jonny McHale was shown a red for an off-the-ball altercation with Frank McGlynn, having already been booked for a high tackle.

Glenfin were spurred on by this development and took 3 quick points through danger-man Gerard Ward. Bundoran struck back with frees, Tommy Hourihane and the excellent Gary Clancy alternating to leave them within 2 points of their opponents. Then, with the first half drawing to a close, Bundoran kicked in a high hopeful ball towards the square, and with keeper Andrew Walsh failing to reach it, Christy Keany was able to punch the ball down into the net to leave the scores 1-6 to 1-5 in Bundoran’s favour at the break.

Despite Glenfin having the wind at their backs in the second half, the game was over as a contest within 10 minutes of the restart.

A point from Christy Keany, and then a death-blow of 1-02 in 3 minutes from Hourihane left the home side with a 7 point deficit to overturn, a feat they never looked like achieving.

Indeed, Glenfin managed only 2 points in the second half, and Michael McGlynns score in the 45th minute proved to be the last score of the game, as Bundoran once again claimed the victory against Glenfin, 2-10 to 1-07.

Glenfin: 1Andrew Walsh; John Harkin; Gavin McDermott; Gareth Martin; Gary Dorrian; Frank McGlynn(0-1); Stephen McGlynn; Michael McGlynn(0-1); Stephen McDermott; Paddy Costello; Malachy Martin(1-0); Daniel McGlynn; Conor Ward; Gerard Ward(0-5; 1f); Ciaran Moy. Subs: Hugh Foy for Costello; Ronan Gallagher for G Martin; Kevin McGlynn for C Ward; Mark McGinty Snr. for C Moy.

Bundoran: Jonny Keenan; Jonny McHale; Diarmuid McCaughey;Jonathan Boyle;Paul Sheridan; Shane McGowan;James Keaney; Niall Dunne; Gary Clancy(0-4 3f); Alan Russell; Ciaran McCaughey; Diarmuid Spratt; 13 Tommy Hourihane(1-4; 3f); 14 Dara Hoey(0-1); Christy Keaney(1-1).

Naomh Muire 0-9

Dungloe 2-9

Dungloe gained two more points defeating neightbours Naomh Muire by 2 goals in the Banks on Sunday last.

It was a game in which the wind played a big factor; the home side had the wind advantage in the first half and went 5 points up with scores from

Harry Harden, Aidi O’Gara, Daniel Gallagher, Dara White (f) and Ciaran McGinley before an Adrian Sweeney free on 18 mins got the visitors on the scoreboard. Conor Greene pointed for Dungloe to narrow the gap on 27 mins but Dara White (45) and Shaun the Yank Boyle left the half-time score Naomh Muire 0-7 Dungloe 0-2.

It was all to play for in the second half. Dungloe’s Adrian Hanlon(f), Conor Greene and Mark Clerkin had the gap narrowed to two points after ten minutes. Half-time substitute Hugh the Yank Boyle pointed for Naomh Muire on 16 mins before Ciaran Sharkey in the Dungloe goals denied Ciaran McGinley a goal.

As the game entered the final ten mins a goalmouth scramble resulted in Dungloe’s Adrian Sweeney geting the game’s first goal of the day to level the game for first time in the game.Shaun Sharkey pointed a minute later to put his side in front and again Sweeney was on hand to finish to the back of the net for Dungloe on 22 mins. Conor Greene and Adrian Hanlon stretched the visitors lead further before Paul the Yank Boyle and Adrian Hanlon completed the scoring.

Dungloe - Ciaran Sharkey, Owen Scally, Jamie Sweneey, Gavin Ward, Mark Sweeney, Martin Redmond, Darren Curran, Raymond Sweneey, Shaun Sharkey (0-1), Mark Clerkin (0-1), Noel McBride, Adrian Hanlon (0-3 1f), Adrian Sweeney (2-1 1f), Conor Greene (0-3), Basil Malone, subs Jack Scally for Jamie Sweeney inj), Jo0e Sweeney for Gavin Ward

Naomh Muire - Brian Grant, Robert O’Donnell, Brian Gillespie, Tomas Duffy, Daniel Gallagher (0-1), Aidi O’Gara (0-1), Jack O’Brien, Paul Boyle (0-1),Owenie McGarvey, Darragh White (0-2), Owen Grant, Patrick McCafferty, Sean the yank Boyle (0-1) Harry Harden (0-1), Ciaran McGinley (0-1) subs JOhn Pidgeon for Daniel Gallagher, Hugh the yank Boyle(0-1)for John Pidgeon, Patrick Gillespie for CIaran McGinley, Shaun the yank Boyle for Owen Grant

Referee Liam McGonigley

Division 3

Red Hugh’s 0-9

Aodh Ruadh 1-13

Aodh Ruadh, Ballyshannon, took a giant step away from the relegation zone with a good victory in Killygordon on Saturday night.

Playing against the wind, the visitors trailed by 0-7 to 0-5 at the break, but they got on top in the second half and a goal from Diarmuid McInerney at the start of the final quarter pu them on their way.

They can thank ‘kedeper Peter Boyle for some wonderfully struck placed balls with minors Colm Kelly, Eamonn McGrath and David McGurrin also playing their part.

Just before the end Red Hugh’s were reduced to 14 with Paul Melaugh seeing red.

Red Hugh’s:- Luke Kelly Thomas McMenamin Sean Sweeney, Aaron Bradley; Garry Kelly, Karl Gallen, Kevin Melaugh; Martin Bonner (0-2, Damien Browne(0-3); Ryan Kelly(0-1), Peadar McGlinchey, Pauric McMenamin; Colin Melaugh(0-1), Gerard Gallagher, Calvin Bradley (0-2). Subs: Eugene Browne for P McGlinchey Paul Byrne for P McMenamin Michael Sweeney for R Kelly

Aodh Ruadh:- Peter Boyle(0-3) Ciron Whoriskey johnny Gallagher Colm Kelly Anthony Boyle(0-1) conor Patton Ronan McGurrin; Eamon McGrath Donagh McIntyre(0-1); Ronan Drummond, Michael Ward(0-2)David Dolan; Kerry Ryan Diarmuid McInerney(1-1),David McGurrin(0-3). Subs:-Brian Roper (0-1)for R McGurrin Barry Ward for D McIntyre Niall McCready (0-1)for D Dolan

Referee: Mickey Mulhern (St Eunan’s).

Division 4

Letterkenny Gaels 1-6

Moville 0-13

Moville kept their promotion hopes on track with a good win at Letterkenny Gaels on Saturday evening.

In a wind assisted first half the Moville boys registered the first six scores through Danny Murphy (two), Nigel McMonagle, Malachy McDermott Seamus Hegerty and Oran McDermott.

Gaels did have their moments and were eventually rewarded with a well taken Conor McBrearty goal and a long renge free from the boot of full forward Ciaran Cannon before Oran McDermott replied leaving the half-time score Gaels 1-1 Moville 0-7.

McBrearty opened the scoring in the second half before Oran McDermott replied. The same players added further scores before Ciaran Diver and Jack Keys gave the visitors a four point cushion.

Brendan O’Brien and McBrearty kept the home team in touch but it was Moville who finished the stronger with two late frees from full forward McDermott.

Letterkenny Gaels: Paul McKenna; Chris Quinn, Conor Browne, Eoin Kelly; James McGlynn, Darren Hunter, Michael Harte; Brendan O’Brien(0-1), Liam Doherty; Colm O’Breslin, Gerard Gibbons, Niall McManus; Conor McBrearty(1-4), Ciaran Cannon(0-1), Sean McDonagh.Subs: Mark Hunter for Doherty, Nicky McGarrigle for O’Breslin, Donal O’Malley for Hunter.

Moville: J Harkin; Jack Keys (0-1), John McGeady, Michael Fiorentini; Michael Doherty, Enda Faulkner; Declan Logue, Seamus Hegarty (0-1); Danny Murphy (0-2), Ciaran Diver(0-1); Malachy McDermott(0-1), Niall Doherty, Nigel McMonagle(0-1), Oran McDermott(0-6), Shane Canning. Subs: Conor Doherty , Michael McLaughlin, James Reynolds

Milford 0-9

Burt 2-5

Two first half penalties within two minutes of each helped Burt on their way to victory away to Milford.

Scoring both meant they ended the half with a healthy 2-4 to 0-3 in front against what was a depleted Milford side who were without seven of their regular team.

Despite bringing the game back to one point near the end of the second half Burt held on and managed to put two points betweent he sides as the played into injury time. This brings their hosts 100% record in Division 4 to an end although they still remain top of the division.

Milford: Sean Gallagher, Anthony McPaul, Barry McNulty, Sean Black, Enda McHugh, TJ Evesson, Manus Boyce, Lorcan Friel, James Doyle, Dean Burgess (0-1), Pauric Curley (0-1), Kevin McGee, David Curley (0-1), Cathal McGettigan (0-5), Paddy Peoples. Subs: Tony McNamee (0-1) for


Mount Errigal Junior B Championship: Ardara 1-11, Naomh Ultan 1-12.

Brian McCormick Sports Division 1: Four Masters 0-13, Ardara 2-6 ; Naomh Conaill 1-9, St Eunans 2-6 ; Kilcar 4-16, St Michael’s 0-9 ; Malin 1-12, Killybegs 1-6

Brian McCormick Sports Division 1 Reserve: Four Masters 1-10, Ardara 1-10 ;

McGlynns Restaurant, Castlefin Division 2: Cloughaneely 1-4, Glenswilly 1-13 ; Gleann Fhinne 1-7, Realt na Mara G.F.C 2-10 ; Naomh Muire 0-9, An Clochan Liath 2-9 ; Termon 5-8, Sean Mac Cumhaill 1-9

McGlynns Restaurant, Castlefin Division 2 Reserve: Cloughaneely 1-8, Glenswilly 1-5 ; Gleann Fhinne 3-14, Realt na Mara G.F.C 1-8 ; Naomh Muire 0-12, An Clochan Liath 1-9

Centra Supermarkets, Co Donegal Division 3: Red Hughs 0-8, Aodh Ruadh 1-13; Gaeil Fhanada 0-9, Naomh Brid 0-5

Centra Supermarkets, Co Donegal Division 3 Reserve: St Nauls 3-7, Naomh Padraig Leifear 0-6 ; Red Hughs 0-9, Aodh Ruadh 3-6; Marley Coaches Division 4: Naomh Ultan 4-20, Pettigo 1-1; Robert Emmets 1-17, Convoy 1-11 ; Milford 0-9, Burt 2-5 ; Letterkenny Gaels 1-6, Moville 0-13

Marley Coaches Division 4 Reserve: Letterkenny Gaels 1-6, Naomh Padraig Uisce Chaoin 0-13 ; Milford 1-7, Burt 3-16 ; Letterkenny Gaels 1-20, Moville 2-2 ;

Marley Coaches Division 5 League: St Eunans 1-13, Glenswilly 1-7

Centra Supermarket U21 A Football Championship: Naomh Mhuire 1-11, Kilcar 2-15 ; Gaoth Dobhair 2-11, St Eunans 1-13 ; Milford 2-7, Four Masters 4-16 ; An Clochan Liath 0-13, St Johns 0-10

Centra Supermarket U21 B Football Championship: Carndonagh 1-10, Aodh Ruadh 2-11 ; Buncrana 4-17, Naomh Padraig Leifear 0-8 ; Urris 4-11, Robert Emmets 2-6.