Termon ladies denied while Milford just beaten

Termon ladies denied while Milford just beaten
Geraldine McLaughlin scored three goals and a point as Termon drew with Monaghan hotshots Donaghmoyne, in the Ulster Ladies Club championship final in Clones.

Geraldine McLaughlin scored three goals and a point as Termon drew with Monaghan hotshots Donaghmoyne, in the Ulster Ladies Club championship final in Clones.

Termon 4-5

Donaghmoyne 1-14

The Donegal champions turned in a truly brilliant second half display as they came from six points down at half-time, 0-9 to 1-0, to go two up with five minutes remaining.

But unfortunately, the Burn Road Ladies, who emptied the tank in the second period, could not hold out for a famous victory, as the Monaghan champions posted two late points to force the draw.

The replay has been fixed for next Sunday, back in St. Tiernach’s Park. McLaughlin scored the first half goal and led the second half charge with two more and a point and also had legitimate claims for a penalty turned down late in the half. Grainne McDaid scoreD the other Termon goal and team captain Maureen O’Donnell posted four points.

Nicole McLaughlin and Niamh Friel were the other big game performers for Termon.

Termon: Laura Gallagher; Marie McFadden, Niamh Friel, Roisin Friel, Grainne McDaid (1-0), Petra McCafferty, Emer Gallagher; Therese McCafferty, Roisin McCafferty; Marie Carr, Olive McCafferty, Nicole McLaughlin; Maureen O’Donnell (0-4, 3f), Sharon McLaughlin, Geraldine McLaughlin (3-1, 1-0pen).Subs: Carolyn Duffy for M McFadden, Jamie Lee Murray for S McLaughlin.

Donaghmoyne: Linda Martin, Joanne Geoghegan, Fiona Courtney, Hazel Kingham (0-1), Lisa Kingham, Sharon Courtney, Joanne Courtney (0-1), Amanda Casey (0-1), Cora Courtney (0-2), Eileen McElroy (0-1), Niamh Callan, Fiona Lafferty (1-1), Catriona McConnell (0-4f), Majella Woods (0-2), Rosemary Courtney (0-1).Subs: Niamh Lynch for Callan.

Referee: Yvonne Duffy (Cavan)

Milford lose out

Milford Ladies were pipped at the post in their bid for a first Ulster Intermediate championship title by Derry champions Glen, in Sunday’s final in Clones.

Glen (Derry) 1-11

Milford 1-10

In a close contest throughout the Donegal champions thought they had earned a draw at least when Amber Barrett tied up the game in the third minute of injury time. But a Glen point three minutes later saw the Oak Leafers snatch a late winner.

Barrett scored 1-9 of the Milford total in a truly outstanding individual performance from right half-forward. Shannon McGroddy scored the other Milford point.

Glen led by a point at half-time 1-4 to 0-6 thanks to a Louise Gunn injury time goal and it was close for most of the second period before the Derry girls pulled three clear. But that late Barrett goal seemed to have set up another day out for the two teams.

Apart from scorer-in-chief Barrett, Milford had other outstanding performances from Orla Harrison and Maria Carr, in the half-back line, while Shannon McGroddy had a good first half.

Milford: Denise Gallagher; Karen Peoples, Aoife Gallagher, Claire Murray; Eimear Callaghan, Niamh Carr, Orla Harrison; Bridin Devenney, Roisin Boyce; Aisling McBride, Rachel Coyle, Amber Barrett (1-9, 1-4f), Shannon McGroddy (0-1), Leanne Boyce, Orla McAteer. Subs: Caoimhe Barrett for McBride, Aisling McDermott for L Boyce.

Glen: Brigeen Cassidy; Shannon McGuckian, Nuala O’Hagan, Sarah Kerr (0-1); Alicia Convery, Maria McGrath, Danielle Kivlehan, Caoimhe Mohan, Michelle McAteer, Caoimhe Milne (0-8, 4f), Kathy Conway (0-1), Louise Gunn (1-1), Dervla McMaster, Claire Legan, Mary Murphy. Subs: Catriona Ledgewood for Legan, Ciara Mulholland for Murphy.


St Michael’s 2-14

Malin 2-12

St Michael’s saw off Malin in a dead-rubber but entertaining contest at the Bridge on Saturday.

The vastly understrength hosts were 1-9 to 1-5 up at half-time and won in the end up with Stephen Coyle and Andrew Kelly the goalscorers.

Stephen McLaughlin and Darragh McLaughlin scored the goals for Malin.

St Michaels: Brandon Mc Colgan, Tomas O Donnell, Gerard Gallagher, Stephen Horan, Lorcan Mc Daid (0-1), Antoin Mc Fadden, Caolan Mc Gee, Martin Breslon (0-1), Michael Cannon (0-1), Stephen Coyle (1-2), Brian Mc Laughlin, Andrew Kelly (1-1), Lee Carr (0-2), Colm Mc Fadden (0-5), Oisin Langan. sub: Michael Langan (0-1) for Oisin Langan

Malin: Declan Lafferty; Finbarr Collins, Damian Harkin, ConorByrne; Gerard Greene, Declan Walsh, John Joe Doherty; Kieran Mc Colgan (0-1), Anthony Kelly (0-6, 4f); Gary Farren (0-2), Niall McLaughlin (0-1), Stephen McLaughlin (1-1); John Mc Laughlin, Dan McDaid (0-1), Daniel Mullarkey. Subs: Darragh McLaughlin (1-0), Tommy Byrne, Thomas Mc Laughlin.


Glenfin have secured their place in the Division 2 promotion play-off but only after making heavy work of a plucky Cloughaneely side on Saturday evening.

Glenfin 0-16

Cloughaneely 2-8

It took the bones of 10 minutes for Glenfin to get on the scoresheet with Stephen McDermott tapping over after a surging run through the middle, as the home side looked to get a foothold in the game.

Glenfin ‘keeper Andrew Walsh was at the centre of several talking points during the match, both good and bad, but showed his class 12 minutes in, pulling off a wonderful save against Paul Sweeney, a save which seemed to spur his team into action.

Ciaran Moy, who put on an exhibition of point taking, and Gary Dorrian scored in quick succession to give Glenfin the lead, 0-8 to 0-13, seemingly in complete control of the match.

However as half time approached, Cloughaneely were gifted a goal, and goalkeeper Walsh was once again in the spotlight. Shaun McGarvey drilled in a long, low ball which neither full back nor full forward got a touch to, and Walsh was left rooted to the spot as it passed him.

Glenfin responded well, Paddy Costello pointing just before the half time whistle to leave three points between the teams at the break.

Glenfin came out fighting in the second half, Moy hitting his stride as he took 3 excellent scores in a row. Cloughaneely went out of the game, failing to score for the first 10 minutes of the half, and looked a beaten team. However Glenfin were once again undone by a long ball into the square, and fingers were once again pointed at the goalkeeper as he failed to deal with the danger and allowed Paul Sweeney to scramble the ball home. A tense affair followed, as a revived Cloughaneely wide put more and more pressure on the Glenfin defence, an excellent Mark McGinty block saving what was surely another goal for the visitors. Denis Boyle and Shaun McGarvey scores for Cloughaneely left only a point between the teams. Glenfin, having subbed on the injury-hampered full back Gavin McDermott for additional cover at the back, were steadied by points from Ciaran Moy, Gerard Ward and Frank McGlynn; however they never looked comfortable with their lead and were made to dig in deep to secure the victory. Paul Sweeney and Shaun McGarvey points weren’t enough for Cloughaneely as Glenfin took the points and the promotion spot; 0-16 to 2-08.

Glenfin: Andrew Walsh; John Harkin, Mark McGinty, Dan McGlynn; Gary Dorrian (0-1); Frank McGlynn (0-1), Stephen McGlynn; Michael McGlynn (0-1), Stephen McDermott(0-1); Conor Ward, Kevin McGlynn, Paddy Costello (0-1); Ciaran Moy (0-7, 3f), Gerard Ward (0-2, 1f), Kieran Foy (0-2). Subs: Gavin McDermott for Costello; Hugh Foy for Foy.

Cloughaneely: Sean McClafferty; Michael Lynch, Kevin McFadden, Cian McFadden; Conor McGee, Lee O’Brien, Declan McGarvey; Kevin Mulhern, Darren McGeever; Paddy Cannon (0-1), Shaun McGarvey (1-5, 4f), Denis Boyle (0-1); Shaun Maguire, Paul Sweeney (1-1), John McGarvey.

Subs: Eamon Curran for D McGeever, Ciaran McGeever for O’Brien, Killian Gallagher for J McGarvey.


Letterkenny Gaels 2-8

Urris 1-14

Urris were made battle all the way in this Div 4 League game. The visitors were looking to secure the runners up spot in the league while Gaels were rounding off their season. Urris started brightly with points from Niall McLaughlin and Michael Grant before Gaels responded with Ciaran Cannon and Conor McBrearty frees. Dean Kelly and Jason Doherty were on target for the visitors before Full forward Mc Brearty causing havoc, goaled for Gaels, Liam Doherty followed up with a point before Ciaran Lynch hit the net with a well taken second gaels goal. Urris steadied matters with points from Alan McLaughlin and two from Dean Kelly to leave the half time score 2-4 to 0-7. The introduction of Danny Devlin at half time raised the tempo for the Clonmany men and they responded with some excellent scores from Donal Kelly and three points from Jason Doherty. Mc Brearty and sub Gerard Gibbons responded for Gaels before Alan Friel hit a fortuitous goal for the visitors Gaels rallied again and two more McBrearty points leaving three points between the sides at the final whistle

Letterkenny Gaels: P McKenna, K Kilkenny, T Daly, C Quinn, O McElhinney, D Hunter, E Kelly, B O Brien, C Cannon(0-2), C Lynch(1.0), Liam Doherty(0-1, J McGlynn, S McDonagh, C McBrearty(1.4), N McManus Subs O Cannon for E Kelly, G Gibbons for L Doherty, P Doherty for N P, Donal O Malley for J McGlynn

Urris: C Friel, D Friel, K Kelly L Mc Daid, A Doherty, M Grant(0.1),C Brennan, D Kelly(0.2), D Kelly(0.3), J Doherty(0.4), P Doherty, A Friel(1.1), N McLaughlin(0.2),P Devlin(0.1), S McCarron. Sub D Devlin.

Referee P McKeever.