Magnificent Milford reach Ulster semi after extra time

Na Galloglaigh march on in Ulster after a magnificent three point victory in Belfast.

Na Galloglaigh march on in Ulster after a magnificent three point victory in Belfast.

Michael Davitts 2-13

Milford 0-22

(afer extra-time)

It took extra time to separate the blues from their Falls Road opponents Michael Davitts in a game played on a heavy pitch very difficult conditions underfoot.

This was far from Milford’sbest performance.Indeed their first half performance could be considered their worst of the season, by some margin. They seemed to show too much respect to Davitts in the opening exchanges and after a horrific opening 5 minutes they found themselves 1-3 to 0-0 down. However they were thrown a lifeline after the Davitts No 11 was seen striking by the referee and was dismissed with a straight red card after 8 minutes.

With whatever breeze there was against them, as well as the sloppy conditions and the sun in their eyes Milford really struggled to get into the first half, and those elements coupled with some terrible handling and passing them 1-8 to 0-6 down at the break.

The extra man aided Na Galloglaighs efforts and they improved considerably in the second half, but were by no means at their best. They battled back well in the second 30 but struggled to break down Davitts 2 to 3 point buffer zone they always seemed to have. Davitts were then reduced to 13 men when their midfielder was dismissed with eight minutes reminding. Na Galloglaigh scored two points before Cathal McGettigan pointed a free with the last kick of the game to send the game into extra time.

Even though Davitts were returned to their full compliment of 15 players there was only one team in the first half of extra time. The fitter legs of Na Galloglaigh seemed to run Davitts into the ground and at the break were 3 points up. In the second period they had a scare as two quick fire Davitts points brought the difference back to the minimum. However once again the blues fitness shone through as they were able to rush and Harry Davitts into dispossession to march up the field to put 3 between the sides again, with Chippie Barrett pointing with the last kick of the game much to the delight of the large travelling support.

Milford will now play the Tyrone Junior champions at home, possibly O’Donnell Park, on Sunday 17th Nov.

Milford: Caolan McGettigan, Sean Black (0-1), Conor McNulty, Cormac Friel, Enda McHugh, TJ Evesson (0-2), Manus Boyce, Luke Barrett (0-4), Anthony Fisher, James Doyle, Chippie Barrett (0-5), Pauric Curley (0-2), David Curley, Cathal McGettigan (0-7), Paddy Peoples. Subs: Tony McNamee for Boyce (40m), Paul Grier (0-1) for Friel (45m), Paul Sweeney for Fisher (52m), Dean Burgess for McNulty (72m), Kevin McGee, Barry McNulty