One of the best known pubs in Killybegs suffered severe damage as a result of a fire in the early hours of Saturday morning.
Fire broke out in the well known Hughie’s Bar in the town’s Main St. at 8.00 am on Saturday morning. The premises also houses the renowned 22 Main St. Gastro pub
Proprietor Hugh O’Donnell said, “It could have been much worse. My 93 year old mother was fast asleep upstairs and had no knowledge of what was unfolding. There was a lot of smoke but fortunately the Fire Brigade were on the scene within minutes and rescued her.
“You can replace a bar but not a mother.” he said.
The bar will be transferred to 22 Main St. and will be open this morning.