Letterkenny IT bow out

Barry McNamee LYIT in action against DCU in Letterkenny Photo Thomas Gallagher 3101TG123

Barry McNamee LYIT in action against DCU in Letterkenny Photo Thomas Gallagher 3101TG123

Letterkenny Institute of Technology exited the Colleges and Universities Football League when they lost their quarter-final by a single goal against Dublin City University on home turf yesterday afternoon.

Letterkenny IT 0

Dublin City University 1

A claustrophobic encounter dictated that the opening goal would always be of huge significance and after only a handful of chances for both sides, it was the visitors who edged in front on 67 minutes. It was to prove the only goal.

David Ahern scored from an acute angle, driving right into the top corner from the angle of the six-yard box after substitute Conor Ralph had struck the base of the post following a pullback from the left by Michael Isichei.

Niall McGonagle’s team pressed hard for a leveller in the closing stages but were thankful of Ciaran Gallagher making a solid save to keep the arrears at one, with Ballybofey native Rory Dunleavy out of luck for DCU.

LYIT qualified for the quarter-final stage by virtue of winning the Ulster Universities CUFL title. After losing to UUJ in the first match they recovered by beating Queens University, Belfast Metropolitan and Magee University to win the title on the head to head rule over Belfast Metropolitan after finishing level on points and goal difference.

The wind reeked havoc in the early stages, although it almost worked to the home side’s advantage, when, on 25 minutes, a free from new Finn Harps signing Josh Mailey was caught in the game and visiting goalkeeper Ben Dale had to tip over.

Beforehand, it was DCU who went the closest when, following a stop from Gallagher from Isichei, Patrick Kavanagh wastefully missed the rebound from just a matter if yards out.

At the other end, Ryan Curran’s volley from 25 yards was just over after DCU had cleared a corner from Luke O’Farrell. Then, the the second half, Dylan Ramsey was almost the opening goalscorer with a header. However, it was the Dublin team who came out on top on an afternoon of few opportunities.

Letterkenny Institute of Technology: Ciaran Gallagher; Ryan Toland, Josh Mailey, Eoin Barrett, Dean Bonner; Dylan Ramsey, Barry McNamee, Ryan Curran, Anthony Appiah; Jordan Duffy, Luke O’Farrell. Subs: Aaron Harley for Appiah (half-time), Johnny Logue for Ramsey (74)

Dublin City University: Ben Dale; Mark Cogan, Gavin McArdle, Robbie Gaul, David Gaul; Rory Dunleavy, Philip Kavanagh, Stephen Traynor, Philip O’Donnell; Michael Isichei, David Ahern. Subs: Conor Ralph for O’Donnell (44), Darren Craven for D Gaul (90).

Referee: Stephen Toner.


Back to the top of the page