On Saturday last a large group gathered to mark the official opening of a section of a new walk prepared at the base of the scenic Muckish Mountain in Creeslough.
The Loop Walk takes in part of the old Lough Swilly Railway line to the base of the mountain. The work was carried out by volunteers, members of Muckish Development Committee. The group received funding for upgrading walkways on the old Lough Swilly Railway Line in the area of Loch na Boll, going on to Lough Agher and towards Falcarragh Station.
This section of walk was officially opened on Saturday afternoon at a place known locally as “The Gates”. The route will form part of a new walking route that will see the old line cleared to make a walk from the famous landmark all the way into the old Falcarragh railway Station. Funding has also been sourced for work in the Falcarragh area and both sides will join up in the future.
The old railway line formed part of the narrow gauge Letterkenny to Burtonport line operated by the Lough Swilly Train and Bus Company until 1940. When the railway was built individual families were responsible for their own “cuts”. The area is popular with recreational walkers due to its spectacular scenery and history.
Among the speakers at the official opening on Saturday were Cornelius McMullan on behalf of Muckish Development who thanked all the committee and landowners and all who helped with the project. He especially thanked the funders and paid tribute to the late Patrick McIntyre who put a lot of work into the project which was officially opened by his wife Winifrid. Refreshments were served afterwards in The Red Roof In Creeslough.