Setanta withdraw from Tain League because of football challenge

Donegal GAA officials were powerless to stop a football challenge game going ahead that lead to another club unable to field a team in the newly formed Tain Hurling League.

Donegal GAA officials were powerless to stop a football challenge game going ahead that lead to another club unable to field a team in the newly formed Tain Hurling League.

Both county secretary Aodh Mairtin O’Fearraigh and chairman P.J. McGowan told Eamon Campbell of Setanta at last Monday night’s county committee meeting. The Setanta representative had claimed that the county secretary had refused to stop a football challenge game involving Red Hughs on Saturday week which involved a number of Setanta players.

However, Aodh Mairtin O’Fearraigh refuted this allegation and claimed that the Donegal board had not scheduled or approved any challenge game and the game in question had been approved by the Ulster Council as it was with a club from the North.

And as a consequence of that he did not have the power to tell Red Hughs not to play a challenge game.

This argument was backed up by the chairman P.J. McGowan that it was the responsibility of the secretary to call off the game but that as far was he was concerned he thought that the Tain League would have taken precedence over a challenge game. The chairman also assured Setanta that Donegal would not be fixing any football games that will clash with the Tain League.

In response to a claim from Eamonn Campbell that he had refused to correspond with him on the matter the secretary said he did so because he only does so through proper GAA channels.

Eamonn Campbell stated that he had sent two emails to the secretary on the matter once he heard about the challenge game on the Thursday before the game and the secretary had not replied to him. He also claimed that he spoke to the Red Hugh’s manager about the game and that he had responded by saying let the players decide.

Damien Dowds of Burt stated that it appeared to him that it was the Ulster Council that had the questions to answer on the matter and not Aodh Mairtin O’Fearriagh and the Donegal county board.