A family of seven have escaped from an overnight fire in their home after the alarm was raised by a child.
The alarm was raised at 2.20am on Friday morning at a dormer house in Fintown.
The two adults and their five children had safely got out of the house before a fire appliance from Glenties fire station arrived 18 minutes after the report.
A second appliance arrived from Dungloe fire station 12 minutes later.
The fire service was at the scene until almost 9am on Friday bringing the fire under control.
Senior Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Glen Hamilton, said the house was well alight with flames coming through the roof when the fire service arrived. “Thankfully all occupants of the house had been accounted for,” he said. “This fire happened in the middle of night so it could have been a lot worse. One of the children became aware of the fire during the night and raised the alarm,” he said.
Mr Hamilton said the fire had significantly damaged the house and 75 per cent of the roof had been burnt through.
He said all house occupiers should ensure that smoke detectors are working.
“People must ensure batteries are changed and smoke detectors are working as they are the key fire safety element for every dwelling,” he said.
Mr Hamilton said this time of year brings added fire risks.
“I would just urge people to take caution coming up to Christmas with the additional risks with Christmas decorations, christmas trees and additional lighting. People just need to be aware of the dangers.”
Fire safety advice for dwellings can be found at: http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/fireservice/communityfiresafety/