Charged with assaulting partner
A defendant who was charged with assault causing harm to his partner pleaded not guilty to the charge at today’s (Tuesday) sitting of Donegal Circuit Court.
Aidan Britton of Mill St. Pettigo pleaded not guilty to assaulting Ms. Olve Smith at Mill St., Pettigo on the morning of October 7, 2011.
Opening the case for the prosecution, Patricia McLaughlin, BL, told the jury that there would be an allegation of “stamping on the head where injury ensued”
She also advised the jury that from the outset that there was drink involved by both parties but said that this is no excuse for incidents such as this.
Ms. McLaughlin said, “Essentially Ms. Smith will say that they both had got back to the house at different times. Mr. Britton was in bed but that he got up and pushed her and stamped her on the head.
“She then called the emergency services and was brought to Sligo General Hospital.”
The trial resumes tomorrow morning (Wednesday).
- Ardara refused permission to go to All-Ireland Gaeltacht
- Elderly woman described as “serious” after Inver collision
- Donegal tops Blue Flag Beach Awards
- Sinn Féin say John Downey arrest is “vindictive, unnecessary and unhelpful”
- ‘Moneyless Mark’ the Donegal man who plans to live in money-free community
Search for a job
Weather for Donegal
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 8 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: South west