Fishing boats at Greencastle harbour
Donegal's prominence in Ireland's fishing and seafood industries was reflected in the number of nominees from the county just announced in the first ever BIM National Seafood Awards.
Eight of the 38 finalists are from Donegal, the largest number from any county in Ireland.
- Colm O'Brien, Gortahork and Barry Shaw, Killybegs for Student of the Year;
- Marty McGing, Olgary SO591, Killybegs and William Spense, MFV Amy Jane II, Downings for Responsible Fisherman of the Year-;
- Marine Harvest in the Aquaculture Environmental & Social Responsibility category;
- Island Seafoods Ltd, Killybegs in the Green Processor of the Year category;
- Foyle Warrior Ltd, nominated for Best New Fishing Practice; and
- McBridge Fishing Co. Ltd, Letterkenny, in the Fishing Enterprise of the Year category.
Bord Iascaigh Mhara (BIM), the Seafood Development Agency, announced the shortlist yesterday and the winners will be revealed on November 17th.
BIM is hosting the inaugural awards to celebrate Ireland’s €1 billion Seafood Sector which employs 11,000 people across the island.
The panel of ten judges was chaired by Joe O’Flynn, Director of AgriFood Business Partners.