Strong campaign in Rosses

Oyster farms

By Carolyn Farrar


By Carolyn Farrar


Strong campaign in Rosses

A scene from Keadue Strand. Photo: Mary Rodgers

The Glenties Municipal District cathaoirleach has praised the local community for the tone of their campaign to oppose the proposed siting of oyster farms at Keadue Strand and Cruit Strand.

A local group, Save Our Strands, formed to oppose two separate applications submitted for oyster farms at the Rosses strands.

Members of the group had emphasised that they did not oppose oyster farms, but they believed those locations were not appropriate because the scenic strands are well used by local people and tourists.

Last week, the applicant for the Keadue proposal withdrew his application. The application for the Cruit project still stands.

Sinn Féin Cllr. Marie Therese Gallagher, Glenties Municipal District cathaoirleach, said she had never seen anything like the response to the campaign, which had been running for less than a fortnight, after public notices for the projects appeared in local newspapers.

There was a strong local response, with several well-attended meetings after the plans became public.

“They’re a credit to themselves and their community,” she said, also crediting SOS for the respectful manner in which they conducted the campaign. “And they got the message across that they were not anti-oyster farm, and that was a credit to them,” she said.

“It was all about the value of the strands as an amenity for local residents and not against aquaculture,” she said.

Declan McHugh of Sweeney McHugh Solicitors, Dungloe last week issued a statement on behalf of Manus Bonner of Belcruit, Kincasslagh, saying Mr. Bonner was withdrawing his application for Keadue.

The statement said, in part, “It was never our client’s intention, nor that of his family, to create any hostility or contention with his neighbours or the people who regularly use Keadue Strand. While our client does not fully concur with the impact that the proposed venture would have on the Keadue Strand, having spent much time and resources planning the application, he has fully accepted the concerns raised by the local people and the submissions that have been lodged in opposition to the application.”

The department confirmed on Friday that they regard the Keadue application as withdrawn.

A different application proposes a 12.5-hectare project in Kincasslagh Bay at Cruit Strand. The applicant is Benedetta M.C. Cazzamali of County Cork. Deadline for submissions to the department on that application is Monday, Oct. 17th.