The organiser of today's march for Mary Boyle told the crowd in the Gables in Ballyshannon that the case had to come to an end.
“We need some closure,” Naomi Brady told the Donegal Democrat.
“I wanted to do something for the family and especially for Anne, for there is nothing that anyone would know about the amount of pain and sorrow and hardship that this family has endured over the past 40 years.
“I know that many of you in the crowd here actually went out to look for Mary and we are all here today for Mary Boyle.
“We need this child to be brought home to rest and we need justice for Mary.
“Ballyshannon is an incredible community to live in.
“The people of Ballyshannon are a very private people but they are there when you need them and it is quite obvious here today”.
Mary Boyle from Keadue was six years old when she went missing from her grandparents' home in Cashelard, Ballyshannon while on a visit in March 1977.
Her remains have never been found, in one of Ireland's longest missing persons cases.
A garda dig on Friday in relation to the case has concluded with no new evidence found. Members of the Northern Region Garda Investigation Team pumped out and drained a small area that had been searched in the past.
A forensic anthropologist was also on site.
See Monday's edition of the Donegal Democrat/Donegal Peoples Press for more from today's march in Ballyshannon.