A new tourist attraction will be unveiled at Doe Castle by RTÉ’s Sean O’Rourke on Saturday, July 23rd at 11am.
By Gareth Reynolds
The new attraction consists of information panels on the structure of the castle which tell the story of the building and the lives of some of the people who lived there over its 500 year history.
The castle, on the shore of Sheephaven Bay, between Creeslough and Carrigart, was one of several strongholds of The McSweeney’s of The Territories, which was given to their family by the O’Donnell’s.
Some notable stories throughout Doe Castle’s history include the rescue of Spanish Armada sailors in 1588 and the departure of Owen Roe O’Neill and Sir Phelim O’Neill from the castle in 1642, along with 1,500 men to lead the Irish troops in the Gaelic uprising of the 1640s.
Fast-forward almost 300 years to 1905 and the castle returned to its McSweeny origins. Three thousand people marched from Creeslough to attend a Gaelic Revival Festival at the castle. It was led by the famous Donegal piper Turlough McSweeney. Pádraig Pearse, who would sign the proclamation just over ten years later, addressed the gathering.
Free guided tours of Doe Castle will take place on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during July and August between 11am and 5pm.
The castle grounds are open to the public seven days a week all year round, from 10am until 6pm.