Today marks ten years since the murder of a former Sinn Féin senior official in Donegal.
No one has ever been charged in connection with the murder of 56-year-old Denis Donaldson who was shot at a cottage he was living in at Cloghercor, near Glenties on April 4th, 2006.
The murder came less than four months after the former senior Sinn Féin official had confessed to being a spy.
It emerged the previous December that the former Sinn Féin head of administration at Stormont had worked for army or police intelligence for 20 years.
Responsibility for his murder was later claimed by the Real IRA.
There were two arrests in Donegal in connection with the murder in 2011, but no charges were brought.
Mr Donaldson’s family have been critical of the Garda investigation into the death and the failure to bring anyone before the courts.
It is understood the family will release a statement this week to coincide with the tenth anniversary of the murder.
The Garda press office did not provide an update on the murder investigation after being requested by the Donegal Democrat/Donegal People’s Press last week.
The inquest into the death is due to reconvene next week in Letterkenny after being adjourned on 17 occasions.
On the last occasion in December the family did not attend and instructed their solicitor not to attend.
A letter from the family’s solicitor said attendance would be a “pointless exercise”.
The inquest was adjourned until next Wednesday after an application by Supt Michael Finan who said gardaí are continuing to pursue lines of inquiry in the investigation.
In a letter read by the coroner, Dr Denis McCauley, the family said they were unaware what the line of inquiry is.
In a statement issued after the inquest the family said its patience had been exhausted.