Declan Bonner, the outgoing Donegal minor manager, has ruled himself out of the running to succeed Jim McGuinness in the Donegal senior job.
The 1992 All-Ireland winner is the first of a number of high profile names to rule himself out of the running to fill the vacancy following the departure of McGuinness last weekend.
The Na Rossa clubman, however, is interested in remaining as minor manager and guiding the county’s fortunes again at minor level next year.
“My priority is the minors and remaining on as minor manager and that is where my interest lies for now,” Bonner told the Democrat last night.
“Myself and my management team met last Thursday night to reflect on last season and to look ahead to next year. We have invested a lot of time and effort with these players over the last few years and we want to stay with them for another year. So effectively that rules me out of the senior job.”
The Donegal executive are due to discuss the minor manager position at their meeting tonight (Thursday).
Declan Bonner was appointed for a one year term this time last year with a review at the end of the season.
Given that the Na Rossa man led the county to its first ever All-Ireland minor final it will be a major surprise if he is not ratified as minor manager for another year at tonight’s meeting.
Other names linked with the vacant senior position are Rory Gallagher, Martin McHugh and Damien Diver; Tony McEntee (Armagh), and Paddy Carr, former Louth manager and a former Donegal senior.
Damien Diver, when contacted about the position last night, said that he hadn’t given it much thought and was still getting over last month’s defeat to Kerry.
Rory Gallagher and Martin McHugh were not available for comment yesterday at the time of going to press.
Meanwhile, the draw for next year’s Ulster Championship will be made tonight (Thursday). The draws are being shown live on RTE 2 at 7 p.m.