An issue over the type of stone being used at Donegal GAA’s new Centre of Excellence in Convoy has been resolved, Development Officer, Michael McMenamin reported to last Monday night’s county committee meeting.
The development official also assured the committee that the matter was currently being corrected and that it would delay the project no more than a couple of days at most.
In response to a query from Martin O’Malley, Naomh Brid, the development officer told how a problem had arisen last week over the stone being used on the site. However, he insisted that a meeting between the project architects and the contractors had taken place and the matter had been resolved.
He also insisted that the problem would not lead to any additional cost on the county board, although because of legal reasons, he said he could not say why the problem was not detected earlier and who was responsible.
Meanwhile, Mr. McMenamin also reported that a high-powered Croke Park delegation led by Seamus McCloy, Chairman of the National Infrastructure Committee, Peter McKenna, Croke Park, Stadium Director, Tom Ryan, Finance Director, in Croke Park and Liam McNelis, of the Ulster Council, visited the Centre of Excellence.
The purpose of their visit was to review the work carried out on the development to date and to discuss further progress.
He said they had expressed satisfaction with the work carried out. However, he did add that they had indicated that they required provision of a stand capable of accommodating up to 200 people and that it was agreed that a business plan would be drawn up and submitted to Croke Park.
He said a considerable amount of work had been achieved at the centre in recent weeks due to the good weather. He said they were still on course to have the two pitches sown out as planned, at the end of next month.