Alcorn cleared in expenses probe

Alcorn cleared in expenses probe
A councillor cleared of any wrongdoing in an expenses probe has strongly lashed out at Donegal County Council for their handling of the matter.

A councillor cleared of any wrongdoing in an expenses probe has strongly lashed out at Donegal County Council for their handling of the matter.

Burtonport-based, Fianna Fáil councillor, David Alcorn, has strongly criticised Donegal County Council’s handling of the matter and says he is now demanding an explanation into who made the initial anonymous complaint, and why the local authority took ten months to make their complaint to the Standards in Public Office Committee (SIPO).

He thanked his family, friends and party colleagues for their support during what he described as “the most stressful and hurtful event in my life”.

He learned by phone on Tuesday that the County Manager, Seamus Neely, had received official written confirmation from SIPO on July 31 and it outlined he was cleared of any wrongdoing regarding the complaint made against him in November 2012.

Cllr. Alcorn stated that the manner in which Donegal County Council treated him throughout the process “was disgraceful to say the least”.

“I am publicly demanding an explanation from Donegal County Council as to their conduct on this matter, and why I was subjected to this treatment at their hands over the past ten months and indeed how they delayed for days to inform me of the decision already taken by SIPO,” he stated.

Cllr Alcorn says he now looks forward to continuing his work in the Glenties Electoral Area, as well as taking up his the seat on the board of Údarás na Gaeltachta, which he had been elected to but the position was suspended pending the investigation out come.

“I also expect my position on Údarás to be ratified without any further delay,” he added.

See today’s Donegal Democrat for coverage.