The inquest into the death of former Sinn Féin official and British agent, Denis Donaldson, heard on Thursday that the Director of Public Prosecutions is considering whether to bring charges in the case of Mr. Donaldson’s death.
The inquest was adjourned in Letterkenny on Thursday, for the 11th time, until Sept. 26th of this year.
Garda Superintendent Michael Finan told the inquest that a file was submitted to the DPP and that An Garda Siochana had provided further information at the DPP’s request.
Superintendent Finan said a three-month adjournment should be sufficient. However, the adjournment was extended to also give Mr. Donaldson’s family time to review submissions made to the coroner on Thursday by the solicitor for the state, and to make their own submissions.
Mr. Donaldson, a former senior member of Sinn Féin who was later exposed as a British agent, was shot dead in April 4, 2006, at his cottage at Classey, Cloghercor, outside Glenties. He was 56 years old.
Three men have been arrested in connection with the case, but no one has yet been charged.
Donegal Coroner Denis McCauley said he hoped to start a pre-evidence hearing on the September date, if no charges had been brought by then.
At the last sitting of the inquest, in November 2012, Mr. McCauley said he wanted his investigation to focus on five areas: Mr. Donaldson’s life and experience in the UK, including his work with Sinn Féin and potential exposure as a potential informant; his time in Donegal prior to his death; his interaction with gardaí while he lived in Donegal; how he died; and the investigation into his death.
Speaking at the inquest on Thursday, Ciarán Shiels, solicitor for the Donaldson family, told the inquest that Mr. Donaldson’s family had taken some comfort from Mr. McCauley’s proposal for the hearing.