The two young men who damaged the Donegal Bay Waterbus have agreed to pay for repairing the damage they caused.
Two males boarded the boat in the early hours of Monday, August 5. A sign was damaged and an alternator to a generator was disconnected.
An August 8, the company posted video from the incident on their facebook page and asked for the public’s assistance in identifying those responsible. The matter was also reported to gardaí
Waterbus Chairman Sean Quinn told the Donegal Democrat yesterday: “We were concerned that €135,000 worth of damage had been done recently to another boat at the quay. If the same people were responsible, we wanted them caught.”
He continued: “We have found the culprits and are awaiting invoices for the remedial work.” Neither of the men is from the jurisdiction and gardaí told the company they are satisfied that the two men were not involved in the incident on the other boat.
Mr Quinn said the company is likely to also seek “a small fine for St Vincent de Paul”.
Mr Quinn explained that the company first posted a caution, asking the men to come forward. They responded through an intermediary but still did not come forward, so the company posted the footage.
“Afterwards, a whole load of people contacted us with information,” he stated.
The company then said that it would post footage of the actual damage being cause unless the men identified themselves.
“They did so, and made a case, saying they are both in college and were worried about any effect the incident might have on this.
“It was agreed that they would pay for repairing the damage caused.”