Creche inspections reveal risks

Potential hazards to children have been detected by HSE inspectors at three Donegal creches including risks of strangulation and scalding and the risk of children getting onto a roadway.

Inspectors found that a shower hose in a play area at the First Steps Childminding Service at Inch in Inishowen could be a strangulation hazard.

The inspection which was carried out last April found that excessive heat on the surface of a radiator poised a risk of injury. An exit door which was not secured, left children vulnerable to going onto a roadway.

An inspection last September of Fairytales Day Care in Milford, revealed a number of electric sockets in the toddler room were unprotected. The inspection also found sanitary accommodation adjacent to the toddler room was not complete and there was just one wash-hand basin provided when there should have been three. Inspectors also found that a restricted opening device was not fitted in the preschool room and a written record of fire drills was not maintained.

A June 2012 inspection of Naionra An Choimin, in Cloghan, showed the water supply was “unfit for human consumption”. The inspection found there was no maintenance record for smoke alarms and no fire drill displayed. A fire-escape door from the playroom could be easily opened, allowing children access to the car park.