‘We’ll find Mary this year’ - Margo

Michael McHugh

Reporter:

Michael McHugh

“This is the year that we are going to find Mary,“ singer Margo O’Donnell said this week, the 35th anniversary of the disappearance of six-year-old Mary Boyle from outside Ballyshannon in March of 1977. It also follows the publication on Tuesday of a 12-page dossier of the Mary Boyle mystery in the Donegal Democrat/DPP, which re-examined the baffling case of her vanishing.

“This is the year that we are going to find Mary,“ singer Margo O’Donnell said this week, the 35th anniversary of the disappearance of six-year-old Mary Boyle from outside Ballyshannon in March of 1977. It also follows the publication on Tuesday of a 12-page dossier of the Mary Boyle mystery in the Donegal Democrat/DPP, which re-examined the baffling case of her vanishing.

Margo said yesterday: “You know when you start finding things that are very relevant to a place, a house, a person. We’ve found that.”

She added: “Somebody knows where they put Mary. There’s no Robert Black.”

In making the appeal to a person or persons who hold the key to the mystery she said that they could phone and ”withhold their number”, send her an anonymous note, leave a note under a stone, or even “tie it to a cow’s ear and tell me what cow it is on.

“We are not looking for a killer, we could not care less what happened to Mary, Mary is gone, Mary is gone never to return. All I want to do, with her twin sister (Ann) and she is equally, as deeply involved in this as I am, if not more - all we want to do is bring Mary home.”

She said that if they came across anything the first people who would know is a priest and the gardai.

Margo explained that any ongoing searches that would be conducted at her behest and that of Mary’s twin, Ann, would be at a particular spot and not a case of “digging out a mountain”.

She said gardai were very helpful, but they couldn’t act on every whim, “but they are behind us 100%.”

Ms O’Donnell says that she herself has been searching for Mary Boyle since 1977, the last of which was in January 2011 at Cashelard.

“I’m not doing this for the craic. The guards did not resume any search and are not resuming any search, but I had a meeting along with the twin (Ann Boyle) and her husband with the Assistant Commissioner Kieran Kenny last June in Sligo,” she said this week.

“He gave me his word that they would resume and look at the case. They would re-look at it again. I said to him, ‘while you are looking at the case and maybe getting statements from different people, I want you to know that I will be searching along with Mary’s twin, I will be searching for Mary.’”

“I got a team of men who voluntarily worked with me all over last year and leading up to the very days of the winter,” she explained.

Pointing out that the tragedy has been ongoing since 1977, she said that she had been involved in the search for many years, after been given a number of a psychic in Germany, by Mary’s mother.

Continued on page 2