Spate of break-ins in Carrick

Cllr. Brendan Byrne has expressed concern at a series of break-ins that have taken place in Carrick over the last week.

Cllr. Brendan Byrne has expressed concern at a series of break-ins that have taken place in Carrick over the last week.

Gardaí confirmed yesterday that a bar on Carrick’s Main Street was broken into at around 7am last Tuesday, November 1. A rear window was broken and cash was taken from a money box, the garda spokesperson said.

A supermarket, also on the Main Street, was broken into between 6.30 and 8.45am on Sunday. The front window of the shop was broken to gain entry and it has not yet been confirmed whether anything significant was taken.

Both incidents are currently under investigation, the garda spokesperson said.

Cllr. Byrne said indicated that another break-in may also have taken place during the week in the area.

“I’ve been told that there have also been a number of attempted break-ins and this is very much a cause for concern. All of the incidents were with 500 metres of each other, so it’s very much the centre of Carrick that’s being affected, not outlying areas.

“I know that the local gardaí are very active in their investigations and committed to finding the perpetrators and bringing them to justice. I would also like to reassure local people that we have a very good Community Alert scheme here and people are keeping an eye out for any suspicious activity.

“At the time, though, this spate of criminal activity is first hand proof that we need a proper infrastructure for the gardaí in rural areas like Carrick and Glencolmcille. I am very concerned at the proposed closure of rural barracks and the effect that it would have on crime levels in places like south west Donegal. I am once again calling on the government to balance the needs of people living in rural areas against budgetary considerations. The gardaí here in Donegal are doing a wonderful job. They need to be given the resources to continue to do so.”