A 14-year-old boy has pleaded guilty at Letterkenny District Court to attacking a retired nurse, knocking her unconscious in a broad daylight street attack.
Victim Anna McDaid was attacked at McClure Terrace in August 2010. During the attack she was knocked to the ground leaving her unconscious with a broken arm, dislocated shoulder and bruising.
Her attacker, who is now 15 cannot be named for legal reasons, was in court with his parents and was charged with assault and robbery.
The court was told the boy was with another man and he shouted to her: “Give me the money” before knocking her over and stealing her handbag.
The bag was found a short time later with €300 missing from it.
The unconscious victim was found by local businessman Brendan McGlynn who contacted her family.
Solicitor for the accused Kieran Dillon said the boy now wanted to try and make up for the awful hurt he had caused Mrs McDaid.
He said that at the time of the attack, the boy had been under the influence of other people and did not have the maturity to say no to them.
Mr Dillon said the boy had been causing his parents all sorts of problems before the attack in Letterkenny and they tried to discipline him by cutting off his pocket-money which proved disastrous.
“He came to Letterkenny and had something in his mind. He had no pocket-money because his parents had cut it because they were trying to control him.
“Mrs McDaid became the victim and he caused her the most serious difficulties possible. It was a purely random attack and Mrs McDaid was not targeted.
“We have an apology in court and my client would like to meet her if possible to let her know how sorry he is. That is up to her.
“All we can do now is to reassure her how sorry we are,” he said.
Mr Dillon also produced €500 in court to compensate the €300 and an extra €200 for Mrs McDaid “as a small gesture for all she has suffered.”
Garda Inspector David Murphy told the court that although there was another person involved in the attack, it is unlikely they will come before the court.
The solicitor also revealed that the accused was now being home-schooled and was attending a child psychologist.
Judge Paul Kelly said he was shocked by the crime.
“This is a very nasty and mean crime to a defenceless old lady who suffered a serious injury.
“He is very lucky he is not facing much more serious charges and consequences on his conscience.
“However I am impressed with how you have met the matter,” he said.
He ordered a probation report so he can best deal with the case and ordered the boy to appear before him again on June 13.