The Eucharistic Congress Bell was handed over to Clogher Diocese on Sunday after what Fr. Cathal Ó’Fearraí, PP, Ballyshannon described as ‘a wonderful pilgrimage’ through Raphoe Diocese. “There was a wonderful welcome throughout the diocese, with the Bell visiting 22 parishes in the 11 days it was here,” Fr. O’Ferrai commented. “What was most impressive was the number of walking processions through so many towns and villages, which saw great numbers of people accompanying the Bell in pilgrimage. There were also many special moments, such as the Mass at St Colmcille’s Abbey at Gartan and the bell’s visit to Rossnowlagh Friary on Saturday, where the crucifix above the altar is the same one that was above the altar at the Phoenix Park during the Eucharistic Congress of 1932.”
The bell arrived in Ballyshannon on Saturday, when Fr. O’Ferrai received it at Old Kilbarron Church. A group of more than 30 people took part in a procession from there into the town, where there was a special reception ceremony at St. Patrick’s Church before 7.30 Mass. A special Adoration Service was held, and very well attended, up until midnight.
On Sunday, following the Confirmation Mass, there was a very big crowd for the handover by Bishop Boyce to Bishop McDaid at Allingham Bridge. The Bell was carried on procession from St. Patrick’s Church - flanked by all those who had just made their Confirmation. Also in the procession were the altar servers, members of the Army, the Brass and Reed Band, the Rescurrection Choir from St. Patrick’s, Bishop Boyce and local priests.